Assistance with rate limit reset

Hi, I'm working at automating creation of certs using let's encrypt and am facing issues with the rate limit,

2022/01/04 12:32:29 acme: error: 429 :: POST :: https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-order :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates (5) already issued for this exact set of domains in the last 168 hours: gitlab.softix.com: see Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt, url:

Can someone help me reset the limit. How long does it take to reset the limit(it says five days but it has already been 7 days/168 hours).

1 Like

Hi @adeel and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

There is a test/staging environment available.

You might want to also check how many certs have been recently issued, with one of these:

2 Likes

Thanks @rg305. Can the rate limit be reset. It appears i need to wait for 1 month before i can renew?

2022/01/04 14:06:23 [INFO] [gitlab.softix.com] acme: Trying renewal with -701 hours remaining

2 Likes

No; Rate limits can't be reset.
[other than by waiting]

Where did you read one month?
See:

2 Likes

Basically the following line in the post response. Is that correct? How many days do i need to wait before i can retry?

Trying renewal with -701 hours remaining

1 Like

I think that is saying acme is trying to renew a cert that expired 701 hours ago (-701H).

That does not make sense given your crt.sh history but perhaps your acme.sh install is not aware of your most recently issued certs?

In any event, there is no such rate limit as @rg305 has already noted. Just read the Let's Encrypt Rate Limit page he linked.

2 Likes

The more relevant number for the rate limit here is the "in the last 168 hours" mentioned in the ACME error at the top. The (5) is the number of certificates, while the 168 hours is the total amount of time that you have to wait since the issuance time of the original duplicated certificate. (None of the output from the software specifically says when that started counting from.)

1 Like

Thanks @schoen @MikeMcQ . One week is up tomorrow, so will give it another try then.

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Hit a rate limit on my only IP

Thanks All. I was able to generate certs today and got my automation to work.

3 Likes

I know a hack around this rate limit. If anyone needs it while fixing a broken deployment, I will privately share it with them if they can provide proof of a minimum $10 donation to LetsEncrypt.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.