Adding certificate with certbot - what is my webroot?

My domain is: darkdreamerphotography.com

I ran this command: $ sudo certbot certonly

It produced this output: Input the webroot for darkdreamerphotography.com: (Enter ‘c’ to cancel):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): OS 10.12.3

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: godaddy

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): i don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): yes Linux hosting with cPanel

hi @amr343 see if you can follow any of the steps here

Hi -

I have made it pretty far following the directions on the certbot website and think it would be easiest to follow through with that. I just need to figure out the webroot for darkdreamerphotography.com.

I’ve tried many different variations based on what other forums were suggesting. Here are all the ones I’ve tried:

/var/www/darkdreamerphotography.com
/var/www/darkdreamerphotography
/home/darkdreamer/public_html
/home/darkdreamer/public_html
/www/darkdreamerphotography.com/home/darkdreamer/public_html
/home/darkdreamer/
–webroot-path /home/darkdreamer/public_html/

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not that familiar with using the terminal.

Thanks for clarifying the steps you are following.

I believe Webroot refers to a directory, on your server, from which your web files are served.

Depending on your OS system and the software it runs (nginx, apache), this directory will exist already. For Nginx it, I believe it is /usr/share/nginx/html. Not sure about apache but you can use goolge to find out.

So what software (what webserver) is your OS system running?

Just noticed that you probably are not sshing into your server and running certbot on your local machine. See if this post is helpful.

I’m not quite sure how to tell what software it’s running. I tried the one for nginx and it didn’t work. According to another forum, the default document root for Apache is /var/www/ but I tried that and it didn’t work either.

Also, I tried following the steps from the article you sent but the terminal doesn’t seem to like the commands I’m entering. I’m simply copying and pasting but it is saying no such file or directory or command not found.

How have you been putting files on your website without knowing this information? If you wanted to put your homepage, index.html, on that website, how would you go about that currently?

Sorry, I should have clarified. It is a wordpress site.

The correct webroot should have an index.php and a wp-content folder from WordPress.

You can look at the contents of folders with the ls command until you find the right one, e.g.

ls /var/www/html

You might also be able to use the locate command to locate your index.php file, e.g.:

locate index.php

But some minimal server installations don’t set up the speedy, indexed locate command, so you’ll have use the old, slow find command instead:

find / -name index.php

a) if you can run sudo certbot only then you should have terminal access to your web server if you don’t know this then you need to review what you are running certbot only in
b) looking at your OS are you running certbot on your personal laptop?
c) it looks like you have apache

d) if you are using cpanel you should be able to use one of their plugins. https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/The+Let's+Encrypt+Plugin

e) contact your hosting provider to confirm if you have SSH access or google your hosting provider and see if they provide it

If GoDaddy is your provider you can follow the instructions here: https://ph.godaddy.com/help/enable-ssh-16102

Once you have SSH access which answers the question below you should be able to either install the cPanel plugin or to install certbot.

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): i don’t know

there is also a nice step by step article once you get the above sorted :smiley:

https://ph.godaddy.com/help/install-a-lets-encrypt-ssl-apache-20245

Note: i suspect that you are not using the command in the link as the apache plugin should figure out what domains you have installed.

All this stuff is something that needs to be figured out before trying to ask for help or trying to issue a certificate otherwise you end up going round in circles

Andrei

Thank you all for your help and guidance! After hours struggling to get Lets Encrypt Installed via the command terminal, I stumbled across another article “How to install a Let’s Encrypt SSL on a shared GoDaddy hosting account” It instructed me to go to https://zerossl.com to generate the certificate. The step-by-step instructions were great and I was able to get the free certificate and add it to my cpanel in GoDaddy.

@amr343, keep in mind that Let’s Encrypt certificates are valid for 90 days and you should repeat the same process when your cert is near its expiration date, ideally 30 days before expiration date so if you have an issue you have 30 days to solve it.

Cheers,
sahsanu

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.