SSl expired--Referencing old article

Hello all. An explanation before posting my question and apology for the length of it. My friend passed away suddenly with no backup plan. I am NOT a programmer at all!!! His websites are on ProxMox where he has several VMs. His main VM is not working and all indication is that the SSL expired. I’ve had IT help to get that far. I set out to update the ssl and have literally been googling for answers on how to do this. I do know he was using Let’s Encrypt so that got me to this article from 2017. I got through the command lines up until the article stopped. The last command I entered was “find / -name index.php”

My domain is: websides.infinitywebhosting.com (there are multiple domains under this)

I ran this command: find / -name index.php

It produced this output:[root@websites ~] The text was too long to let me post, it gave me the entirety of the websites under the infinitywebhosting.com name (also all those on the broken VM)

The messaged ended as this
/etc/csf/messenger/index.php
find: ‘/sys/kernel/debug’: Permission denied

My web server is (include version): Sorry don’t know how to find this

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Sorry don’t know this

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: His server is with DediSpec

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes I think so

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no don’t think so

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): 1.3.0

Another issue I came across is that one of the clients moved a website and there is the following error in red

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Error while running apachectl configtest.

AH00112: Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/idletyme/public_html] does not exist
AH00526: Syntax error on line 1139 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Wrapper /home/idletyme/fcgi-bin/php7.0.fcgi cannot be accessed: (2)No such file or directory

Again, I am sorry, I am not a programmer so I am completely lost. I’m just trying to help keep my friend’s websites going the best I can for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Sorry about your friend.

Does the offline VM not start at all? I think to be able to help with the certificate side of this, you would need to be able to start the VM up in Proxmox, and perhaps start its webserver.

Otherwise, I can suggest perhaps hiring a sysadmin to deal with some of recovery tasks, at least upto the point where the webserver is running.

1 Like

We cannot access the webmin or virtualmin from ProxMox but the server is running. I am able to access the (not sure what it’s called) through KiTTY. It is direct access to the root via kitty through the IP address.

As far as hiring someone, I am really on my own on this and don’t think I could afford it unless they were able to do it within about an hour on the cheap.

The VM is running but the websites are inaccessible. One of the error messages is
www.clpnetworks.com refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

This site can’t provide a secure connection

websites.infinitywebhosting.com sent an invalid response.

• [Try running Windows Network Diagnostics](javascript:diagnoseErrors()).

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.