What is the proper method of accessing Apache servers

Hi,
I’ve been trying to get the Let’s Encrupt client to install however I think the problem is that it’s not addressing the actual Apache server with my approved domains.

Server configurations and the like are way over my head.
The start up info in the welcome email and the user guide seem fairly straight forward but the results with Git Bash were not successful.
Docker install didn’t seem to work either.

Git for Windows has been installed.
Running Win 8.1

My web host uses Apache.
I contacted my web host to see if he had any input.
He believes that I need a VPS set up and even then it would require me manually setting everything up.
My web host also indicates that access to a server terminal is limited
This is also a shared hosting account if that’s any clue.

I’ve also been scouring the community board looking for clues but again the lingo is all Greek to me.

Basically, I would like to know the proper way to connect to the Plesk CP.

I’d appreciate any replies in the simplest of terms as configuring the server to work with Let’s Encrypt is more complicated to me that initially thought.

Preferrably step by step instructions would be helpful.

I’m hoping to figure this out as Let’s Encrypt is an important addition to web design and development.
It would be excellent to be able to offer the SSL certificates to others I’m building sites for.

I do have access to the Plesk backend and I’ve seen where SSL certificates can be enabled but I don’t think it applies to Let’s Encrypt client.

I’m lacking the knowledge of how to properly apply the Let’s Encrypt client to the Apache server.

Feel free to ask me for any clarification.

Thanks.

Sounds like you are trying to request the certs from your local machine for your remote machine. You will probably want to use the manual auth method.

When you run the manual auth method the client will give you some commands to issue on the remote server, (iirc) These commands are just creating files which Let’s Encrypt will try and access and auth you, so you should be able to manually create these files on your domain and auth if your provider doesn’t offer shell access.

Thanks for the quick response.
You’re bang on with your reply.
I figured that being on a local machine was part of the issue.

I will try the manual auth method as it’s been mentioned numerous times on the community board.
You’ll probably hear back as I continue to atttempt this procedure.

Thanks.

Just a follow up on the shared hosting issue. I run my own servers and I don’t run Plesk, but hopefully your host supports SNI (Quick Google says Plesk does) so you (well your host) can run multiple SSL sites off the same IP.

Once you have your cert. you should be able to install the cert (and CA cert) by using the instructions found here:- https://www.digicert.com/ssl-certificate-installation-plesk.htm (obv using the cert and CA cert LE give you instead of digicert). The only downside is that by using the manual method if that you will have to manually update your certs every 90 days (might want to try and renew every 60 days, just so you got some leg room if something goes wrong).

EDIT: As for getting the client to run on Windows. I’ve not actually installed python on Windows in years. any error messages you get will help get you on the right road. But as random stab in the dark make sure you have ran the Python windows Installer https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.10/python-2.7.10.amd64.msi (64 bit) https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.10/python-2.7.10.msi (32 bit) and try the client again. But any error messages you get will help figure out what your missing on your machine to get you up and running.

GL;HF

Trying the manual install of Let’s Encrypt doesn’t appear to be working.

Here’s the resulting code when initiated.

$ ./letsencrypt-auto -a manual
./letsencrypt-auto: line 71: [: /c/Users/XXXXXX: binary operator expected
which: no python2 in (/c/Users/xxxxxx/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/bin:/c/Users/XXXXXX/bin:/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Intel/Shared Files/cpp/bin/Intel64:/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath:/c/Windows/system32:/c/Windows:/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/c/Program Files (x86)/ATI Technologies/ATI.ACE/Core-Static:/c/Program Files (x86)/Skype/Phone:/c/Program Files (x86)/AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition 2.2:/c/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python35/Scripts:/c/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python35:/c/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Launcher:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)
which: no python2.7 in (/c/Users/XXXXXX/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/bin:/c/Users/XXXXXX/bin:/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Intel/Shared Files/cpp/bin/Intel64:/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath:/c/Windows/system32:/c/Windows:/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/c/Program Files (x86)/ATI Technologies/ATI.ACE/Core-Static:/c/Program Files (x86)/Skype/Phone:/c/Program Files (x86)/AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition 2.2:/c/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python35/Scripts:/c/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python35:/c/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Launcher:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)
Updating letsencrypt and virtual environment dependencies…/letsencrypt-auto: line 128: /c/Users/XXXXXX: No such file or directory

My user name has been replaced with XXXXXX.

No such file or directory indicates that a connection is not being made?

I still think i’m missing as how to properly use the command window.
It’s being used by the Git for Windows app.

Please keep in mind I have no previous experience with matters such as this and would appreciate a step by step tutorial on how to use Let’s Encrypt from a total newb POV.

Thanks.

Sounds like your machine is not correctly configured to run Python. Its been a while since I’ve used a Windows machine, but you can try running bash/command line as an admin.

Sent you a PM. I have 30 mins spare. Don’t mind TeamViewing in and having a quick look for you.