Renew certificate without Cerbot

One of my client got an email to renew an SSL certificate. So try to renew by this article method Add let’s encrypt to Wordpress. From this article, I tried to to renew by Cpanel just because I don’t have root shell access. So My question is issuing a new certificate is the same as renewing…

Hi @Akash_0

yes, you can create a new certificate. The commands the client sends to Letsencrypt are the same.

A lot of clients store additional informations after the creation of a new certificate and reuse these information to renew.

There is no actual manual renewal process? I’ve already posted detail for my situation separately at How do I renew a 90 day cert with time left before expiration?. My site is hosted on a shared-server Cpanel account at GoDaddy. The cert expires 10 days from now.

I don’t know much about how certs work, nor about Let’s Encrypt (having had the Letsencrypt cert only about 5 months), and last time it had expired so I reinstalled it or whatever. It sure would be handy if Letsencrypt had a page dedicated to the manual renewal process. The Letsencrypt site seems geared much more to server admins managing many domains as a full-time job. I’ve built shared-server websites for 20 years, manually coding HTML/CSS and managing via FTP, but sorry, although hosting services have made cert installation a lot easier these days, 99% of this cert and server stuff is over my head.

Yes, it's "get a new cert the same way you got the old one." But if you're needing to manually obtain and install the cert, you should ask yourself whether Let's Encrypt is really the CA for you--or, alternatively, whether your user-hostile hosting provider is really the one for you.

Thanks. With certain exceptions (including some of their past advertising and endless cross-selling) I am reasonably satisfied with GoDaddy, which I have used for most of those 20 years. Other hosts have been fair to horrid, and GoDaddy is at least stable, with usually fast, patient and usually knowledgeable phone support. After some further prospecting I’m finding some helpful basic insights at cPanel’s own site and GoDaddy forums and even a GoDaddy page (which, unfortunately says (in effect), we don’t support certbot, so choose a third party client at Letsencrypt, which leads the the page of every third party under the sun. That’s how I got to the cPanel site. Finally I resorted to good 'ol Google, which got me the GoDaddy site. Sigh.

Rather than give a list of URLs some of which might help others reading this, some not, I’ll just suggest Googling something like:
renew let’s encrypt ssl certificate at godaddy cpanel

Google features the following page, which shows wizard screens at zerossl. They look familiar, so last time either I used this page, or more likely followed similar instructions from a YouTube video. The actual process was pretty quick. What takes time is becoming confident that whatever procedure I choose won’t be a dead-end.

I agree with you that another free cert would be a better choice in my situation (one domain, fairly static, no transactions, just needing SSL), and first I tried ZeroSSL itself. Unfortunately their cert seems (seemed) to be incompatible with an add-on domain (as opposed to the primary domain of my account).

BTW, by “add-on” domain, I mean an actual domain, like mydomain.com, not a third-level domain such as thisone.mydomain.com. I suppose the incompatibility might be because GoDaddy sets up the add-on domain as an ordinary folder among my public html root files.

Thanks. One way or another, I’ll reinstall. But I would still suggest to the wonderful folks at Letsencrypt.org that such basics be more directly addressed in terms that can be followed by laypersons such as me. I realize Letsencrypt can’t (or shouldn’t try) to address the specifics of every hosting service, or even the major ones, and maybe they can’t vouch for third-party clients (although isn’t CertBot a third-party?), but it does seem they could provide a plain-language guide as to the renewal process, and a few links as starting points.

I’ll try this one:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.