Noob question - location of certbot-auto on LAMP server

My domain is: Gapify.co.uk

I ran this command: ./certbot-auto renew

It produced this output: ./certbot-auto no such file or directory

My web server is (include version): Linux Apache

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04.4

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Vultr

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

Hello - sorry for the noob question. I have found similar questions but none that I could use to answer my specific query.

It is time for me to renew my let’s encrypt certificate. I am trying to do it manually via the command line using certbot-auto renew, but the server response says ‘no such file or directory’. My assumption (which may well be wrong) is that I just need to first navigate to the actual directory where certbot-auto lives, but I don’t know where this is? Is there a standard folder that this would be installed to? Any other suggestions on how I can renew the certificate?

If it helps, I’m almost certain I followed this guide to install it in the first place - https://www.vultr.com/docs/setup-letsencrypt-on-linux

Any help gratefully received.

If you’ve lost track of where you put it, it’s okay. certbot-auto can safely be re-downloaded, it is really more of a launcher than an actual copy of Certbot.

Once you download it again and run it, it will find your existing installation and settings and all will be well.

Great - thanks for your help. I was concerned about re-running any installers and having issues with installing certificates twice or causing conflicts. I have successfully renewed the certificate now. I followed this guide https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-secure-apache-with-let-s-encrypt-on-ubuntu-16-04 skipping section two and jumping straight to the ‘certbot renew’ command and all worked well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.