LetsEncrypt License Key?

Hello all.

I hope I’ve posted this in the correct place, I’ve just got a dedicated server with CentOS 7 and cPanel/WHM and my hosts have installed LetsEncrypt but they’ve also informed me that the trial license is expired.

I’ve been told to try to reach out to support for them to help me buy a new license key or to unlock my current license key.

Any help and support anyone gives is perfect, even a guide on where to buy a license key, not seeing an option on the main site.

Thanks,

Hi,

I believe the license key you are talking about is not from let’s Encrypt… The plug-in (program) your host help you installed is called FleetSSL For cPanel, which is a custom build solution by @_az. You can find license information on https://letsencrypt-for-cpanel.com

Thanks

LE doesn’t have licence period. Are you sure it isn’t Cpanel/WHM licence problem?

That’s a cPanel integration, which require a yearly or lifetime license. The program indeed have a trial license but it’s only valid for a short period, and can’t be extended.

Hey.

This is what’s confusing because according to my hosts it’s a locked key or something.

https://gyazo.com/61a7ec42c9de7affa0f1803ba1928e22

I have told them that LetsEncrypt doesn’t have “keys” but they’ve told me otherwise.

I think what happened was, we had some configuration problem, they gave us the wrong hardware, now it’s either locked the license “spam bots” or something else is wrong.

Sorry to be such a noob haha!

As I said, Let’s Encrypt does not have a license key (you don’t need a license to get a certificate with certbot or something similar), but since you are using cPanel and you wish to use the program (the one I referred, as your host installed it for you) you need a license key.

If the program told you you have a trial license and it’s already expired, you can:

1. Remove that program and use the default AutoSSL and enable let’s Encrypt. (the default AutoSSL have a limited feature, but still able to use)
  2. Purchase a license at the program providers site.

If your host claim they have a valid license for that program (the FleetSSL one, not for your cPanel installation), ask them to contact FleetSSL’s support.

There’s no way us (Let’s Encrypt volunteers) can help you get a license for that program or help you reactivate that license.

Thanks

Hey.

Thanks for that @stevenzhu, always good to know what’s going on haha.

I’ll relay this back to them, it’s weird because LetsEncrypt was showing up as an addon yesterday with no issues.

I’ll try the AutoSSL idea but in the long run I think I’ll need to purchase to offer our customers the ability to use LetsEncrypt or am I getting this wrong?

Thanks,

Both AutoSSL and FleetSSL can get you a let's Encrypt certificate, it's just a matter of features and convenience (I guess?)

That's normal, the trial license is only valid for 72 hours...(start from the activation)

From my personal experience:
If you use AutoSSL, your customers need to rely on you to get a certificate (since they won't be able to control the certificate issurance from their end, and must wait for a few hours (if your staff don't trigger a process) for a Cron to be runned and issue a certificate.
Besides, FleetSSL allows you and your customer to control which hostname you would like to issue certificate for, even issuing wildcard certificate (given that your customers point their domain NS to your server, since wildcard certificate from Let's Encrypt can only be obtained with DNS validation)

In a short run, you could use AutoSSL if you have few customers on the server and it should work just fine if you don't need that much power. If you want to have more flexibility and give some control to your customers, use FleetSSL. It is worth the price.

Thanks

Hey,

I think I understand a little better.

We are a new startup so I think AutoSSL seems the safe option but eventually if I purchase an Organisation license then things will run smoothly.

Again, thanks for clarifying this for me, seems clearer now.

I have submitted this to them anyway to see if we can go ahead with everything, luckily I know how to use WHM! Haha!

Thanks again,

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.