"letsencrypt: command not found" trying to renew a cert

Hi, I am a letsencrypt newbie & taking over from another developer, so forgive me if this is an easy question!

I am trying to renew a certificate for our domain, and when I run the following command:

root@bt-node:/etc/letsencrypt# letsencrypt renew --dry-run

I get the following error:

letsencrypt: command not found

I look at this and then tried

root@bt-node:/etc/letsencrypt# ./letsecrypt-auto renew --dry-run

but then I get the error

-bash: ./letsecrypt-auto: No such file or directory

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me where I am going wrong! Is there any other info I can supply to help?

Thanks

If your predecessor used the git installation of letsencrypt, you’ll have to run the ./letsencrypt-auto command from the directory to which he cloned the repository.

I’d check the home directory. You might also find some clues if you search his ~/.bash_history file for a git clone line. Alternatively, I suppose you could also just reinstall the client in another directory - I haven’t done that before, but I can’t think of a reason why that wouldn’t work right now.

Thanks for the reply. When I run the following command

find / -name letsencrypt

I get the following options:

/etc/letsencrypt
/var/lib/letsencrypt
/var/log/letsencrypt
/root/.local/share/letsencrypt
/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/letsencrypt
/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/letsencrypt
/root/test/letsencrypt
/root/test/letsencrypt/letsencrypt

Is it just a matter of going through all of those folders and trying, or can you see which one it might be off the top of your head?

Thanks

Probably one of the last two. It’s the one with a file called letsencrypt-auto. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.