LE/certbot Error

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: awsomecloud.io

I ran this command:
sudo certbot --apache and/or sudo certbot --apache certonly

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
No names were found in your configuration files. Please enter in your domain
name(s) (comma and/or space separated) (Enter ‘c’ to cancel):awsomecloud.io
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
tls-sni-01 challenge for awsomecloud.io
Enabled Apache socache_shmcb module
Enabled Apache ssl module
Error while running apache2ctl graceful.
httpd not running, trying to start
Action ‘graceful’ failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

AH00112: Warning: DocumentRoot [/var/lib/letsencrypt/tls_sni_01_page/] does not exist
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
AH00015: Unable to open logs

Cleaning up challenges

(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

Encountered exception during recovery

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/certbot/error_handler.py”, line 99, in _call_registered
self.funcs-1
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 284, in _cleanup_challenges
self.auth.cleanup(achalls)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/certbot_apache/configurator.py”, line 1908, in cleanup
self.restart()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/certbot_apache/configurator.py”, line 1797, in restart
self._reload()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/certbot_apache/configurator.py”, line 1808, in _reload
raise errors.MisconfigurationError(str(err))
MisconfigurationError: Error while running apache2ctl graceful.

AH00112: Warning: DocumentRoot [/var/lib/letsencrypt/tls_sni_01_page/] does not exist

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 14.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
AWS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
I can login to shell

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Hi @adailycanof,

What version of Certbot are you running?

Could you post your Apache configuration files here?

Hi @schoen

Im fairly new to this, how do I get both bits you are looking for?

If you’re that new to it, can I ask if it’s possible that you were actually not running Apache at all? The errors that you got would be consistent with the hypothesis that you have both Apache and nginx installed but that you normally run nginx, and when you asked Certbot to configure Apache it tried to start it up, only to run into a conflict with the other web server.

So can I ask if you’re positive that you really wanted to use certbot --apache to configure the Apache web server?

Edit: Hmmm, it looks to me from connecting to your site like you are running Apache, but still these errors suggest that you might have more than one copy of Apache installed and Certbot might be trying to configure the copy that’s not the one that you normally use. Can you tell me a little bit more about your hosting and software environment?

Im sure I want to use certbot on my site,

It is a WordPress instance hosted on AWS, The WordPress instance is provided by Bitmani and is using ubuntu 14.04 and apache, looking at it I can see its apache2.

@bmw, do you think it’s possible here that there are two Apaches installed and Certbot is trying to configure the wrong one?

Something like that is certainly possible. Something else was running on the system preventing Apache at the default configuration paths from binding to port 80.

To see the paths Certbot will use for the Apache plugin (which vary by system), run certbot --help apache. If any of those values are incorrect, you can provide the correct path on the command line.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.