Install Cerbot on a local computer

is´t possible to install cerbot on a local windows computer to create a cert?

1 Like

Hi @bd8pq

this is possible. You can use --manual and the dns-validation in combination with a local running Certbot.

Then you don’t need a running webserver.

But you have to do that every 60 - 85 days.

Read

then

Thank you, I have understand that I will do this every 60-85 day. But I dont come understand with or where to download certbot like a client for Windows. Maybe a alternative is to have a local apacheserver to create a LE-cert? But a rather just have it with windows if its possible.

Thought you use a local linux.

If not, select the list of windows clients.

1 Like

Thank you, Now I have a installed apache server. How do I promt for installing certbot?

1 Like

Hi @bd8pq,

Certbot is being ported to Windows, but it’s probably still a bit early to recommend using it on that platform. If you look at the link @JuergenAuer provided, there is a section with other Let’s Encrypt client applications that work well natively on Windows already.

1 Like

Hello again, I don’t understand to get further. Now I have, under the section ACME v2 Compatible Clients… and Python chosed ManuaLE. Download and installed, but how should I write on the Python promt to get further?

This is the first time I’ve encountered ManuaLE, but it seems not to have much documentation at all. As the README seems to emphasize the difficulty of using this tool, you might not be the target audience for it.

Thank you, can you recommend another ACME client?

I don’t use Windows, so I don’t have personal experience in this area, but I’ve heard from satisfied users of ACMESharp, Certify The Web, and Posh-ACME on this forum. Also this code

from @leader is popular among people who have some familiarity with Perl (if you don’t, it might be nearly as inconvenient as the client you just tried, except that the documentation is a lot better).

1 Like

Just a small note regarding Crypt::LE - there are also windows binaries there on the releases page, which do not require any installation. However, I do not quite understand what is your goal there @bd8pq - based on you mentioning “certbot like a client for Windows” and “Maybe a alternative is to have a local apacheserver to create a LE-cert? But a rather just have it with windows if its possible.” statements, it sounds like you want to be able to obtain the certificate on your local Windows machine while running web server elsewhere and you want the client to be able not only get the certificate but also install it for you?

If that’s the case, you might need to create some wrapper script (in form of cmd/bat file) and potentially have a client supporting DNS verification (which may also need to be scripted to “fit” your DNS provider unless you are OK with manual process there). I think if you elaborate a bit on your current setup and what you are trying to achieve more specifically, it will be easier to suggest some potentially suitable solution.

1 Like

Thank You,
I want to be able to obtain the certificate on my local Windows machine while running web server elsewhere. So my goal for now is just to obtain a certificate and after that - just paste it in my hosted webbhotel form which are supposed use for “I have already a own certificate”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.