I have run out of Certs for my Domain, How can I find out when I will be able to generate a new one?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: Vualto.com

I ran this command: Generate Cert

It produced this output:

Unexpected error
ACME Server Returned:
{
“type”: “urn:acme:error:rateLimited”,
“detail”: “Error creating new cert :: Too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: admin.vuworkflow.telenor.staging.vualto.com”,
“status”: 429
}

I Understand the error message (although I didnt realise I had limits to the number of certs).
I have been spinning up instances of servers which run an application for our clients.
I understand that I cant get a new cert as I have used my allowance, but I also read that I will be ableto get new certs after time. How can I find out WHEN I will be able to get a new cert? I have been trying every day for 3 days but keep getting the same error. I just want to know when I can generate a new cert as I need to let my boss know when this will happen. Essentially we need to deliver a test server to a client so they can do some UAT on the system.

thanks

You can check at crt for certificates you have obtained - https://crt.sh/?q=%vualto.com

It looks as if for that domain you obtained them on the 17th Jan - so you will need to wait until next week (7 days after issuing the first) to obtain more identical certs.

I assume you deleted the instances of servers and didn’t keep a backup of the certificates ?
Do you have a backup of the private keys ? (if so you can download the cert itself from crt)

See https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/ for the rate limits.

Note: for testing, you should be using the test / staging server - as this doesn’t have the same limits :wink:

The only alternative (although take care) is that you have hit the limit of 5 “identical” certificates / 7 days. There is a limit of 20 certificates / 7 days per domain - so you could potentially obtain a slightly different certificate (although you may be at that limit looking at the list, but OK to obtain 2 more tomorrow )

That’s excellent advice, and thanks so much for the quick response, I really appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.