Getting Started

I so hoped that, finally, there would be a simple way of implementing SSL capability on my web sites. Sadly, I was stopped dead in my tracks by the very first instruction in Getting Started:

“If your operating system includes a packaged copy of certbot, install it from there and use the corresponding certbot command. Otherwise, you can use our certbot-auto wrapper script to get a copy quickly:”

This is really bad. What operating system? On my PC or the Web server? What is certbot? How do I know it is “there”? Where is a “certbot-auto wrapper script” and how do I use it?

Horrible. I give up.

Your web server.

There’s a description in the first paragraph of the “Getting started” page:

Anyone who has gone through the trouble of setting up a secure website knows what a hassle getting and maintaining a certificate can be. Certbot, the recommended Let’s Encrypt client, automates away the pain and lets site operators turn on and manage HTTPS with simple commands.

That depends on your OS. If you’re familiar with the package manager of your OS, search for a certbot package. Otherwise, follow the installation link that’s included on the page and you get instructions that are specific to your OS and web server software.

That is what the following paragraph is about:

$ git clone https://github.com/certbot/certbot
$ cd certbot
$ ./certbot-auto --help