Basic question: where do I type certbot-auto script?

Hi,

I know this is a rather basic question but I feel like there is one crucial piece of missing information on the page linked below: where I actually need to type the certbot-auto script.

My web hosting company uses cPanel, and I have a reseller account so I have access to WebHost Manager. The server is Apache and the operating system is CentOS. Presumably I need to use a command prompt/terminal/console, but I can’t find one on either WebHost Manager or cPanel for this site. I have SSH enabled.

Additional info: it says “CLOUDLINUX 5.11 x86_64 standard” at the top of WHM.

PS. My site is www.matrixseating.com

Hi @matthew2017, a lot of people who have accounts with access to cPanel and WHM are able to get certs from inside of that environment rather than by using Certbot or a command line. In fact, mixing the two can sometimes be a bit of a problem because each software environment can confuse the other with the changes that it makes to the web server configuration. Have you checked inside of your cPanel to see if you already have an option to obtain a Let’s Encrypt cert there?

Thanks for your reply. There is an “interface to generate both a self-signed certificate and a certificate signing request for a domain”. Having filled in the fields and clicked on Create, it produces a signing request, a certificate, and a key. What do I do now?

That’s not the same feature I was thinking of, but I don’t have a cPanel account so I’m not sure what to tell you to look for. Maybe someone else with cPanel experience can help?

If you use cPanel for managing the websites on the server, I highly recommend using a cPanel plugin for Let’s Encrypt. If not, you’d otherwise have to directly edit config files, and cPanel really doesn’t like that.

I found two options that may work for you:

Both of these require the ability to install plugins with cPanel, so you may want to ask your hosting provider about getting one or the other installed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.