feMick: How to renew my certificate

What is the procedure to renew my certificate before or after the 90 days has passed. I do not know if I have passed the 90 day mark or not so please help me with that too.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: How to renew my certificate

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Mick :slightly_smiling_face:

Because you originally posted in the #issuance-tech-questions category, you weren't presented with the form we need to help you. Please copy and paste the form below (or you can highlight and quote it) then fill it out as best you can. Be sure to indicate how you got your certificates before and what domain name(s) you're trying to certify.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

To add to @griffin s post in general, it's highly ACME client specific how to renew. Most client have a feature to renew, but this depends on the client used. So please answer all the questions of the questionnaire above.

@fann808 You can of course hang out in this thread to see if the answers are also applicable to your situation, but if they're not, please open your own thread in the #help section, so we don't mix two different situations in a single thread.

1 Like

@feMick

I put in a request to the moderators to have your posts merged into this topic. There was some confusion created when the other help-seeker's post got split into a new topic.

My domain is: mickwebsite.com

I ran this command: certbot-beta-installer-win32.exe

It produced this output: Created a folder c:\Certbot

My web server is: Microsoft Internet Information Server version 10 [IIS 10]

The operating system my web server runs on is: Windows 10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Myself and my home computer, my ISP is Rogers Communications Inc, a Canadian communications and media company

I can login to a root shell on my machine: Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site ): Yes, Internet Information Services Manager [iismngr]

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): I cannot find certbot.exe on my computer, not in c:\Certbot or either of the the ProgramFiles folders. I Cannot change to directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Certbot\bin\

Notes:

While I was preparing this I found the certbot.pdf I have not studied it yet.

In c:\Certbot:
the lib folder is empty,
the log folder contains files dated March 3 thru March 10. I "do not have permission to open this file". I signed on to the administrator account and opened the file letsencrypt.log and discovered the home for certbot is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Certbot\bin\certbot.exe
It is a hidden file that I cannot see even as administrator. I do not have a clear understanding of Windows permissions for files and folders.

In the folder c:\Certbot\renewal\ I see mickwebsite.com.conf and its content, among other files.

I'll await further instructions/information before proceeding :slight_smile:

Mick

2 Likes

I replied in the forum. Thank you,

2 Likes

I assume that the above response is directed to fann808.
I am still waiting for a response [not urgent]. I generally turn my computer [which is the web server] off at night. It has been my plan to continue doing this until I have sorted out any issues. If it will help the situation I will begin to let it run 24-7.
Thank you,
Mick

2 Likes

I'll come help as soon as I can.

2 Likes

Alright, my friend, I finally got a chance to review things. :slightly_smiling_face:

Based on the certificate history for mickwebsite.com, there are two Let's Encrypt certificates covering only mickwebsite.com and two ZeroSSL certificates covering both mickwebsite.com and www.mickwebsite.com. The earliest of these certificates expires in 41 days, which leaves a minimum of 11 days until renewal would even be attempted by most automated means (like the automated renewal task run daily by certbot). Unfortunately, www.mickwebsite.com is utilizing the latest Let's Encrypt certificate that does not cover its domain name. Either a new Let's Encrypt certificate needs to be acquired that covers both mickwebsite.com and www.mickwebsite.com or the latest ZeroSSL certificate needs to be installed.

What are the contents of this file?

C:\Certbot\renewal\mickwebsite.com.conf

What is the output of this command?

certbot certificates

Please put three backticks above and below each content and output, like this:

```
content/output
```

1 Like

I believe by default certbot on windows will also create a windows scheduled task (see Windows Task Scheduler) to periodically renew your certificate, I would have expected it to have run by now. Check you haven't changed the password for the user account you were using, otherwise the task will need it's credentials updated as well.

2 Likes

I looked thru the task scheduler in Administrative Tools - I saw nothing that looked like certbot. I have never worked with Task Scheduler - how do I update something that is not there? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am wondering if I should re-run the certbot-beta-installer-win32.exe installer, if that would restart the automatic renewal and perhaps fix anything else, without wrecking anything. What do you think?

2 Likes

I think as long as you install the latest version to the same location then it should be all good. I don't know if there is a command line options you need to use to get it to schedule the renewal for you, I know it does create it automatically (you don't have to create it yourself).

3 Likes

I can confirm in my own testing that the windows scheduled task 'Certbot Renew Task' is recreated when you install certbot again.

3 Likes

I was doing some looking around, found LetsEncrypy-Win-Simple, installed on 2nd attempt [had to turn off Firewall], took only a few minutes, no need for any special technical co0nsiderations, has LetsEncrypt certificate installed with automatic renewal, very happy :slight_smile:
Notes:

1. I turned firewall off in both Windows and in my router
  2. they changed the name of the program you run to wacs, so I typed .\wacs in the install folder to run it
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.