Error: Let's Encrypt new auth status 429

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: homehost.pp.ua

I ran this command: no commands

It produced this output: Error: Let’s Encrypt new auth status 429

My web server is (include version): Ubuntu Server 16.04

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu Server 16.04 with VestaCP

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Me

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes I can

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): VestaCP

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): no bots

Hello! I have an issue “Error: Let’s Encrypt new auth status 429”. Reistalling OS and VestaCP didn’t help.
Please help me to configure it.

1 Like

Hi @homehost

isn't there a link in the error message? Please read

No, reinstalling VestaCP can't help if you have hitted a rate limit.

PS:

I ran this command: no commands

That's not possible.

PPS: Please. There is a check of your domain, created this morning - https://check-your-website.server-daten.de/?q=homehost.pp.ua

Why do you create so much identical certificates? Create one certificate, then use it 60 - 85 days, then create one next.

1 Like

@JuergenAuer Снимок
I was click only this parametrs in VestaCP. And I have no idea, where it save the sertificate or where I can see it. After reinstalling OS there is no any save on my server.

Unfortunately, those old certificates still count against your Let’s Encrypt rate limits even if you no longer possess a copy of their private keys. Let’s Encrypt’s rules about this are described in the document that Jürgen linked to above.

3 Likes

It looks like the ratelimit hit is for a duplicate certificate (5 identical certificates in a 7 day period).

You can sort-of get around this by requesting a certificate that is not identical - for example, adding a new domain such as “bypass.example.com”.

there are still other ratelimits, such as “Certificates per Registered Domain” and “overall requests”. but you can get around this particular ratelimit if you are able to add another subdomain to the host.

1 Like

Thx to all for your answers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.