Email: "Let's Encrypt certificate expiration notice for domain"

Sorry for starting a new thread, but closing all the other ones denies additional questions:

If I go to my site in a browser and look at the following cert’s info:
domain.com
Issued by: Let’s Encrypt Authority X3
Expires: Sunday, February 22, 2020

If that date^ is 2 months after what the email says, then I can be certain the email is incorrect, right?
Thanks!

Have a read of https://letsencrypt.org/docs/expiration-emails/#when-you-get-an-expiration-email , it will likely explain why the “incorrect” email was sent in your case.

2 Likes

Yep, a few times… “If you check the certificate currently running on your website, and it shows the correct date, no further action is needed.”

Is this referring to the section I pasted above showing the “correct” expiration? I only see in chrome a cert for domain.com and not www.domain.com - I’m sure both are registered since I see it in the letsencrypt client logs.

The user interface is going to vary on your browser and browser version.

In Chrome, one of the places you can visit is the "Security" tab, where you will see a full list of domains on the certificate:

Unless you look there, you might be fooled into believing that the certificate only covers letsencrypt.org, not the www version.

2 Likes

OK I see both domain.com & www.domain.com under “SAN” in security section… So this email must be due to the fact that www.domain.com was added at some point (many months ago) after domain.com was created.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.