Challenge request failed for domain ecofriendlymamacanada.com

I installed the plug in WP Encrypt on WP and plugged all my info clicked generate certificate and was given 4 lines of certificate and key locations. Didn’t know what to do with it so I called godaddy (my host) and then proceeded to follow the steps to get my CRT. I thought I missed a step when I put in all my info on the WP Encrypt so I deactivated it and deleted all the info and tried again from the beginning but now it says “Challenge request failed for domain ecofriendlymamacanada.com” I’m not sure where to go from here or where to plug in my Certificate request info. I believe my operating system is OS X 10.9.5. My website looks fine in Safari but with Chrome it says “Your connection is not private…” NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

as a volunteer - if you don’t want to use your words i won’t use mine

The certificate for https://ecofriendlymamacanada.com/ is self-signed from what I can tell. I’m not familiar with WP Encrypt, though, so you might want to ask the developer of that extension.

My apologies @ahaw021 I thought I did answer all those fields in my question

My domain is:

I ran this command: clicked generate certificate

It produced this output: Challenge request failed for domain ecofriendlymamacanada.com1

My web server is (include version): Wordpress 4.8.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): X 10.9.5

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: godaddy

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes but they (go daddy) told me I shouldn’t

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Linux hosting with cPanel

I hope this is all you need @ahaw021??

I didn’t pay for an SSL so I got a self assigned one @motoko. I’m trying to generate a .crt file that I can plug into my go daddy SSL certificate that I thought I was going to get through WP Encrypt (let’s encrypt via WP) and I can’t seem to get one. I don’t know what I need to do

The certificate has been issued successfully:

https://crt.sh/?Identity=%ecofriendlymamacanada.com&iCAID=16418

So if it’s not correctly installed in your setup, I would suggest asking support for whoever seems most responsible (which might be GoDaddy—I’m not quite sure how to break down the responsibility here).

Thanks for your reply. I do see that I have a certificate but I was under the impression I had to have a .crt file to upload to my host. Godaddy sent me this article to help me but I’m not seeing a .crt file anywhere also I didn’t have to submit my CSR to let’s encrypt and from what I’m reading that’s what I needed to do as well. Is there something else I’m missing or another article I could read

I'm not very familiar with WP Encrypt or GoDaddy, but...

In the first post, you said you were "given 4 lines of certificate and key locations".

It's fairly common for certificates -- and private keys -- to have the general file extension ".pem", with names like "cert.pem" or "privkey.pem" to distinguish them.

If the documentation i've seen is correct, the certificate is in "cert.pem" and the private key is in "private.pem". The intermediate certificate is in "chain.pem", and "fullchain.pem" contains both cert.pem and chain.pem combined.

You probably need to give GoDaddy private.pem and either fullchain.pem or cert.pem and chain.pem.

Let's Encrypt and the ACME protocol and clients are all about automation. When you clicked the button, your client generated a CSR and submitted it to Let's Encrypt using the API.

1 Like

Thank you all problem has been solved!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.