Cert conflict: remove domains from multiple domain cert

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: artprocess.net

I ran this command: sudo certbot certificates

It produced this output:
Found the following certs:
Certificate Name: www.artprocess.net-0001
Domains: www.artprocess.net alternativeart.org artprocess.com artprocess.ie artprocess.info artprocess.net artprocess.org justatest.com ladysisland.ie www.alternativeart.org www.artprocess.com www.artprocess.ie www.artprocess.info www.artprocess.org www.justatest.com www.ladysisland.ie
Expiry Date: 2018-06-13 11:51:17+00:00 (VALID: 46 days)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net-0001/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net-0001/privkey.pem
Certificate Name: www.artprocess.net
Domains: www.artprocess.net alternativeart.org artprocess.com artprocess.ie artprocess.info artprocess.net artprocess.org burrow.ie justatest.com ladysisland.ie rosslarelifeboatmemorial.com www.alternativeart.org www.artprocess.com www.artprocess.ie www.artprocess.info www.artprocess.org www.burrow.ie www.justatest.com www.ladysisland.ie www.rosslarelifeboatmemorial.com
Expiry Date: 2018-05-10 11:18:16+00:00 (VALID: 12 days)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net/privkey.pem

My web server is (include version):tomcat 8.5.14

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu 14.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: N/A

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

My Question (thanks for any help):
I was using a cert having multiple domains and renewing without issue.
I then had to add 2 extra domains.
I now have to remove the same 2 domains - so I created a new cert.

certbot renew fails on the cert “www.artprocess.net” as the 2 domains are now invalid, and the cert will expire in 12 days. This cert appears to be the one in use by the remaining valid domains.

How do I remove the cert “www.artprocess.net” and make the cert “www.artprocess.net-0001” the sole valid cert for my domains? Many thanks!

Apologies for time wasting - It looks like was a simple fix:

1. changed certificate file directory to point to www.artprocess.net-0001 in Tomcat’s server.xml
  2. removed www.artprocess.net folder from letsencrypt/live
  3. removed www.artprocess.net file from letsencrypt/renewal

Yeah, that’s about it.

There;s also a www.artprocess.net folder in letsencrypt/archive.

There’s also a “certbot delete --cert-name www.artprocess.net” command to delete all 3 of those things, but I’m not 100% sure the version of Certbot you’re using supports it.

Many thanks mnordhoff:
I restored the www.artprocess.net folder and file I deleted from backup, and following your advice ran

certbot delete --cert-name www.artprocess.net

with the following log result:

2018-04-28 07:28:28,634:INFO:certbot.log:Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
2018-04-28 07:28:28,635:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/www.artprocess.net.conf
2018-04-28 07:28:28,635:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net/cert.pem
2018-04-28 07:28:28,636:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net/privkey.pem
2018-04-28 07:28:28,636:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net/chain.pem
2018-04-28 07:28:28,636:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net/fullchain.pem
2018-04-28 07:28:28,637:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net/README
2018-04-28 07:28:28,637:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.artprocess.net
2018-04-28 07:28:28,760:DEBUG:certbot.storage:Removed /etc/letsencrypt/archive/www.artprocess.net

Finally, running certbot renew:

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/www.artprocess.net-0001.conf

Cert not yet due for renewal

Many thanks again for your help, and to Letsencrypt for the great work they do.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.