Fischerltd.com & www.fischerltd.com certs conflicting?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: www.fischerltd.com

I ran this command: https://www.fischerltd.com

It produced this output: This site is not secure, shows cert for fischerltd.com instead of www.fischerltd.com. I have both certs installed.

My web server is (include version): Apache

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Google Cloud Platform

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No, SSH

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):0.28.0

Is there a certbot command to remove both certs and then to install the www.fischerltd.com cert (which is the only cert I want loaded). I made the mistake of originally creating/installing fischerltd.com cert.

You can expand one of the certs. Check which certificates are stored by certbot with certbot certificates, then choose one of them and with the --cert-name option you can select the certificate you want to change. Then, with the -d option, you can select all the domains you require.

For example, if you have 2 certificates, one with example.com and one with www.example.com you could do:

certbot certificates:

Certificate Name:   example.com
    Domains:          example.com
    Expiry Date:      2020-07-18 10:01:07+00:00 (VALID: 74 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/privkey.pem
  Certificate Name:   www.example.com
    Domains:          www.example.com
    Expiry Date:      2020-07-18 10:01:12+00:00 (VALID: 74 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.example.com/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.example.com/privkey.pem

Then you could do:

certbot --cert-name example.com -d example.com -d www.example.com

Which should result in:

certbot certificates:

Certificate Name:   example.com
    Domains:          example.com www.example.com
    Expiry Date:      2020-07-18 10:01:07+00:00 (VALID: 74 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/privkey.pem
  Certificate Name:   www.example.com
    Domains:          www.example.com
    Expiry Date:      2020-07-18 10:01:12+00:00 (VALID: 74 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.example.com/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.example.com/privkey.pem

Then, you could delete the superfluous certificate with only the www.example.com domain:

certbot delete --cert-name www.example.com

Note: with this I assume you’re using the apache installer plugin. If you’ve manually installed the certificate, you of course need to check if your Apache configuration points to the correct files in /etc/letsencrypt/live/.

1 Like

that worked, thank you.

1 Like

Sorry, I thought I was okay because I was able to delete both certs. But, when I try to create a new (correct) cert (www.fischerltd.com), the command only allows me to select the wrong domain or C(ancel).

dfischer@mfischerltd-001-vm:/$ sudo certbot certonly --apache
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache
Which names would you like to activate HTTPS for?

1: fischerltd.com

Select the appropriate numbers separated by commas and/or spaces, or leave input
blank to select all options shown (Enter ‘c’ to cancel): c

Please specify --domains, or --installer that will help in domain names autodiscovery, or --cert-name for an existing certificate name.

dfischer@mfischerltd-001-vm:/$ sudo certbot certificates
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

No certs found.

dfischer@mfischerltd-001-vm:/$

Well, that’s what you get when you don’t do as you’re told I guess… I put the delete step after you’d have a working certificate. Now, you’ve got nothing as you already know.

Seems your Apache configuration is wrong, certbot can’t find your www subdomain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.