What's the next step?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: myerstownelcorotary.org

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):Apache 2.2.34

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:arvixe

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):no

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):cPanel 70.0.62

Arvixe gave me a certificate signing request, certificate, and private key. What do I do next to generate the certificate?

Do you have the certificate and key?
Or what do you have....

Thank you

Is there a area in cPanel to handle certs?

The support at arvixe sent three sets of code labeled:
Certificate Signing Request:
Certificate:
Private Key:

No - Support set up CSR and told met to get back after Let’s Encrypt set up certificate.

These are not very suitable for use with Let's Encrypt because Let's Encrypt is designed to be automated. These files are normally used with manual certificate issuance processes.

There are third-party web sites that let you request a Let's Encrypt certificate using these files, but you have to redo the whole process every time, before the certificate expires (that is, within 90 days). Let's Encrypt does not have any official site to do this because it's not a recommended way of using the service. It would be better if you could get your host to allow you to use the existing Let's Encrypt support inside cPanel, which would be easier and more automated. Normally the hosting provider doesn't have to do much work to do this—they just have to let you use existing functionality in cPanel!

If they don't want to do this, you might be interested in looking at

1 Like

Arvixe are one of the hosts that stubbornly refuse to enable AutoSSL on their cPanel services.

To get your site back online (maybe while you look for a better host), you can put your CSR into a site like ZeroSSL to make a certificate.

2 Likes

Thanks. I got the certificate and now will send it to arvixe to install it.
Will be looking for a better host when the contract expires.

Thanks again for you help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.