Installing the Certificate manually in a Control panel

Hello, so I managed to issue a Certificate by using ZeroSSL and I got all my files/keys.
But when entering my hosting SSL section, I managed to enter only the Private Key and the Domain key, while the I couldn’t paste the Domain CSR because I hadn’t the suitable input field. but instead I have "SSL Certificate Signing Request

If you obtain a certificate from a trusted SSL provider, you must complete the Certificate Signing Request form to provide the information needed to generate your SSL certificate." followed by a form.
What should I do?

What specific control panel is this ? cpanel ? plesk ? ispconfig ? …

the control panel is cPanel.

The easiest way with cpanel is to use cpanels own interface to Let’s Encrypt - https://blog.cpanel.com/announcing-cpanel-whms-official-lets-encrypt-with-autossl-plugin/ (ask your host if they can enable it for your account )

For doing it manually, go into the “Install and Manage SSL for your site (HTTPS)” section in your cpanel, then place

• the certificate where it says “Certificate: (CRT)”
  • your private key where it says “Private Key (KEY)”
  • the CA chain, where it says “Certificate Authority Bundle: (CABUNDLE)”

You don’t have any need for pasting the CSR there ( nor is there a field for it )

1 Like

I don’t have the section that you told me.
I just placed as you said the (cert and key) in their appropriate places.

Then your host has disabled that option - so really you should chat to your host about installing the cert.

The other way is to combine all your 3 certificates / keys ( your cert, the private key and the CA chain cert) into one file, then go to the “Certificates (CRT)” link, and then paste that combined file of all 3 into the box “Upload a New Certificate”

1 Like

Okay, just one last question, is this has to do anything with Dedicated IP, because I contacted them and they said something about it.

It could be - that depends on your hosting provider.

You don’t need a dedicated IP for https - but some web hosting providers insist of it ( possibly as a way to make you pay more, but that could just be me being cynical :wink: )

1 Like

I’m gonna expand on what @serverco said again, a dedicated IP is important for people running super-old web browsers or other software to connect to your site with HTTPS. Like, Internet Explorer on Windows XP, or a Google Nexus One without updates, that kind of old. It is very unlikely that’s enough visitors to be worth worrying about but if you know your visitors mostly have ancient software it could matter. Newer software knows how to make HTTPS work right on a bulk hosting site without a dedicated IP. As @serverco says, the hosting company might require you to buy one anyway, seems like a rip off if they do.

1 Like

That screenshot looks a little odd in terms of options indeed. I understand (by the look of that URL on it) that you are on colocation with TurnKey. The help section there does not seem to match what can be seen on the image you have posted (https://helpdesk.turnkeyinternet.net/Knowledgebase/Article/View/163/0/how-do-i-install-ssl-certificates-in-cpanel), but search indicates that they might indeed require you to have a dedicated IP to make this work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.