Hostgator CSR and Private Key

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: http://sisswy.be/

I ran this command: I contacted hostgator and asked for them to add ‘Let’s encrypt’ to my panel and here is there response :
'Hello Marc,

I am glad to assist you about SSL.

If you wish to use the Let’sEncrypt certificate, then I suggest you to generate the CSR by filling the form here : https://www.hostgator.com/generatecsr .Once you recieve the CSR, provide to the Let’sEncrypt SSL issuer. So, they will provide the related certificate that will match with our server.

Once you receive the certificate provide us the SSL certificate, RSA key and CA bundle to install the certificate. You can provide the SSL certificate and CA bundle in the attachment. The RSA key is considered as sensitive information and we no longer accept it in plain text via an email or ticket response.

We request you to save the RSA key in .TXT format in the home directory.

To upload a file through cPanel’s File Manager, please follow the steps below:

1. Login to cPanel.
  2. Under Files, click File Manager.
  3. Select Home Directory, then click Go.
  4. Click “Upload” from the top toolbar.
  5. Click Browse (some web browsers will have Choose File instead).
  6. Select the file on your computer that you wish to upload.
  7. Once the file has been selected, it will automatically upload.

Once you have uploaded the file, please reply to this ticket with the file name and the path so that we can proceed with the SSL installation.

You can get more details about 3rd party SSL certificate installation here : http://support.hostgator.com/articles/ssl-certificates/acquire-ssl/how-do-i-use-the-third-party-ssl-certificate-i-purchased

We charge $10 as a installation fee for one domain. If it is Multi-domain or wildcard SSL the charge will be $25 for first 5 domains or sub-domains and $5 for each additional domain or sub-domain.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Warm Regards,’

It produced this output: I followed the step to generate the CSR but now I have no idea what to do with…

My operating system is (include version): ?

My web server is (include version): ?

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: hostgator

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Idk

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): wordpress

Thank you very much

Marc

I can provide instructions for how to do it, however in my opinion if they are going to charge you $10 to install the certificate every time it renews ( every 2-3 months ) it would be cheaper purchasing an SSL cert from somewhere that is valid for a longer period. Alternatively change hosts to one that supports Let’s Encrypt or at least doesn’t charge you to install a certificate :wink:

2 Likes

@margzmi, it might be helpful to other users in the future if you could find out from them if this $10 fee applies every time the cert is renewed (and post the answer here on the forum). As @serverco says, this would be a frequent occurrence.

1 Like

Hi Serverco,

thank you for your response :slight_smile:

I m not a pro and this is why I m a bit lost. how does it work if I decide to change my hosts? about my website, my database, my email address,…

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Hello Schoen,

I asked them and we will see what they will tell me :slight_smile:

Usually these can al be transferred relatively easily. Some hosts will even do this for you. I'd suggest finding a host first that meets all your requirements ( including supporting Let's Encrypt if you want free SSL certs), then let us know about both hosts and we may be able to provide more detailed advice.

Super, thank you :slight_smile:

Have you some advices for the best hosts (supporting Let’s Encrypt)? I mean, the ones with a good balance between big storage, good speed, good price,…

You can have a look at some of the ones in this thread - Web Hosting who support Lets Encrypt

It depends very much as well what you need in the way of bandwidth, disk space, technical support, control panel etc as well

yes i checked the list already but I don’t know any of them but I ll read their websites :slight_smile:

thank you

hello Serverco,

i checked the list and i might admit that I am completely lost between all the offers… I am looking for a host that has an assistance for customers, a good speed for a young website that doesn’t have a huge amount of visitors (yet ahah), a correct price, good storage, email addresses, website migration by themselves, let’s encrypt incuded,… I like the offers of OVH but their assistance is like shit (according to reviews).

Have you an idea please? :slight_smile:

Thank you very much

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.