Webmaster disappeared with our info: HELP!

Hello, I’m sorry I’m new here, but our certificate expires on March 24 and, without any of the info on how our former webmaster (literally MIA, gone from the internet) got it or anything we don’t know what to do. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide! Thank you!

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: VLNMN.org

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Siteground

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): I don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

1 Like

Hi @vlnmn,

Sorry this happened to you!

I think you should contact Siteground support and explain your situation. In any case, you’re going to need to get ahold of some administrative credentials so that you can do administrative tasks on your server—or so that you can pass them on to a new web developer whom you may hire in the future.

Once you have some information about what kind of hosting plan and software environment your site uses, and once you have credentials that let you administer it, you can feel free to come back here and get some advice about renewing certificates for your particular environment. The way of doing this is quite different depending on what software you use and how you administer the site.

I’m glad you’re paying attention to this promptly, but I don’t think you have much to worry about from the certificate expiration. Let’s Encrypt certificate renewals are free of charge from Let’s Encrypt’s side and usually take only a few seconds or a few minutes, depending on the software tools that are used. Also, many setups will renew the certificate for you automatically when it’s 30 days or less from expiry, so there’s a fairly high chance, though not a certainty, that your certificate may get renewed automatically without any specific action on your part on February 23 (30 days before March 24 of this year).

2 Likes

Hi @vlnmn

checking your domain there is no problem visible - https://check-your-website.server-daten.de/?q=vlnmn.org#ct-logs

Issuer not before not after Domain names LE-Duplicate next LE
CloudFlare Inc ECC CA-2 2020-01-30 2020-10-09 *.vlnmn.org, sni.cloudflaressl.com, vlnmn.org
3 entries
Let's Encrypt Authority X3 2020-01-13 2020-04-12 vlnmn.org, www.vlnmn.org
2 entries
Let's Encrypt Authority X3 2019-11-14 2020-02-12 vlnmn.org, www.vlnmn.org
2 entries
Let's Encrypt Authority X3 2019-11-11 2020-02-09 es.vlnmn.org, www.es.vlnmn.org
2 entries
Let's Encrypt Authority X3 2019-11-11 2020-02-09 vlnmn.org, www.vlnmn.org
2 entries
COMODO ECC Domain Validation Secure Server CA 2 2019-09-16 2020-03-25 *.aristocrats.fm, *.cozycal.com, *.euphoric-health.com, *.exhilaratedhealth.com, *.ld-investments.com, *.pourcholawgroup.com, *.vlnmn.org, aristocrats.fm, cozycal.com, euphoric-health.com, exhilaratedhealth.com, ld-investments.com, pourcholawgroup.com, sni108304.cloudflaressl.com, vlnmn.org
15 entries

The Cloudflare certificate isn't a problem.

The newest Letsencrypt is from 2020-01-13 with the non-www and the www-version.

Perhaps critical - the es subdomain. There is the certificate expired.

One Comodo expires 2020-03-25 (may be the wrong time zone). But that's another Cloudflare.

And your domain uses the first Cloudflare:

CN=sni.cloudflaressl.com, O="Cloudflare, Inc.", L=San Francisco, S=CA, C=US
expires in 241 days	sni.cloudflaressl.com, *.vlnmn.org, vlnmn.org - 3 entries

Looks like the internal Letsencrypt renew works. And the Cloudflare Certificate isn't a problem.

3 Likes

Thank you so much all! We have lots of our login info, but the stuff for Let’s Encrypt is MIA.

Am I reading your replies correct, that the SSL will renew automatically when it expires? Please forgive my ignorance on this issue!

Thanks again, and TIA!

1 Like

A Letsencrypt certificate is 90 days valid.

Normally, it should be renewed after ~~ 60 days (that's client specific).

Your older certificate - created 2019-11-14
Your current - created 2020-01-13

Difference: 60 days. So it looks that you have a working configuration.

So recheck your domain 2020-03-13 (60 days later) or 3 - 5 days later. To see, if the certificate is renewed.

1 Like

Credentials for Let's Encrypt are usually stored in a file somewhere in /etc and not directly used by a human being; instead, they're used by the software that interacts with Let's Encrypt.

These credentials are also not ultimately very important because any Let's Encrypt application can easily create new ones for free at any time if needed. The important thing is making sure that there is software installed on your system that's configured to renew the certificate automatically when necessary. As @JuergenAuer indicated, it looks like that's probably true for your setup!

2 Likes

Thank you both so, so much. I don’t know how to verify that there’s a software that does this, but I will check again on the date you mentions. Thanks again!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.