Vesta CP - Error getting validation data

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g., so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command: certbot --staging

It produced this output:
Congratulations! You have successfully enabled and

You should test your configuration at:

When I try to test at those sites, I get the following message: Assessment failed: No secure protocols supported

My web server is (include version): Apache2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Digital Ocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Vesta CP latest version 0.9.8-23

As noted above, both configuration tests fail. Also, when I try to enable SSL Support and Let’s Encrypt Support in Vesta CP, I get the following error: Error: Fetching Error getting validation data

I am running the --staging command because I already tried this one and started getting 429 errors when attempting to enable this via the Vesta CP panel. I reset my server to a clean install, reinstalled VestaCP, reinstalled certbot, and tried to run it with the staging flag, hoping I could correct any connectivity errors before trying again in production. Please assist.

Your server seems to be listening on insecure HTTP on port 443, rather than HTTPS. e.g.

This would indicate something has gone wrong inside VestaCP’s management of your virtual hosts. If you get support from them, now might be the time!

There was an issue with the HTTP > HTTPS redirect. For anyone else who has this issue, it looks like the lets encrypt install added the following lines to my file:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME} [OR]
RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME}
RewriteRule ^ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [END,NE,R=permanent]

I commented these lines out, restarted the apache2 service, and retried the letsdebug test. No issues this time. I went into VestaCP, edited my site, added SSL and Lets Encrypt support, and it worked! I removed the comments from the conf file, restarted apache2 again, and tested everything It is all working properly now, redirect and all.

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.