Using Letsencrypt Certificates with Confixx as Reseller?

My web server is (include version): No Server, Reseller-Webspace

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Linux a

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Alfahosting

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): No

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Confixx

Hello dear Community,

first of all - please be aware, that I studied already this topic a few weeks,read multiple times the FAQ on the LE website and read really a lot of threads in this forum.

Nevertheless, my question is apparently so different, that I have to ask because I found no solutions so far. Maybe there is a solution already given for another user, but I did not understand, that it belongs to the same topic as mine, so please excuse it, if I may ask something what has already been asked in the past.
I am a complete SSL-Newbie, so it is no idleness or laziness, that I ask here.

To my topic:
As you can see, I am Webspace Reseller at Alfahosting with no Shell Access.
Control Panel is Confixx, what is the reason why my hoster DONT support me as Reseller with Lets Encrypt Certificates.
BUT he told me, I can register at LetsEncrypt the SSL Certificates for domains by my own and add and administrate them in my own Alfahosting DNS-Panel.

So my really “stupid” question is: Where/How can I “register” SSL Certificates for Domains without beeing a Hoster (just Webspace Reseller)?

I read already something in “Getting Started” --> “Without Shell Access” about list of hosting providers, but mine is not in there. But as he stated, I would be able to add the certificate by my own in the DNS-Backend … but how to get first of all this Certificate?

Thank you for your answers and patience in advance.

Best regards
Webcraft

The unwritten advice is that without shell access, you depend on your web hosting provider to integrate Let’s Encrypt for you.

For example, with cPanel and Plesk (the most popular web hosting panels), this is usually automatically included.

If Alfahosting does not integrate free/automated SSL like Let’s Encrypt into its shared webhosting service, there’s not a lot you can do other than manually issuing the certificates or changing web hosts.

There’s a mega-thread of hosts that support Let’s Encrypt here: Web Hosting who support Let’s Encrypt

Manually issuing the certificates is possible via sites like zerossl.com or gethttpsforfree.com , but they are not the “proper” way to use Let’s Encrypt, because it is not automated, resulting in you having to repeat the process every 60-90 days.

3 Likes

Also, the web panel provided by the hosting provider needs to have some sort of SSL certificate uploader/installation feature.

@webcraft mentions “(…) add the certificate by my own in the DNS-Backend” but I’m not sure how a DNS backend would enable the user to install a custom certificate…?

1 Like

@_az Thank you for that explanation, that helps me already a lot, I will visit this 2 websites to get more information about getting a SSL Certificate.

@Osiris You are right - it is NOT in the DNS Backend possible, it is only in the Confixx adjustable. In the DNS Backend I’ve only added DNS-Record Verification TXT Part.

You both helped me to get it done !! MANY THANKS to @_az and @Osiris !!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.