Too many registrations for this IP

I’m using nginx and the linuxserver/letsencrypt container found here, which has been working fine for a few months. Today, I added a new subdomain and attempted to get a new cert and I see this error:

There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new registration :: too many registrations for this IP: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

I have only ever used 1 email address from this IP, and this is a private IP address dedicated from my ISP (i pay for a dedicated block of IPs). My IP is 99.96.206.201

Any help?

Hi @ag24,

Do you regularly destroy and recreate this container, maybe?

thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I’m not intentionally stopping/starting it, but it could be happening without me knowing. A few questions on that:

1. Does this rate limit imply that different email addresses are being used for registration? I’ve definitely only ever used one from this IP.

2. Should the container persist the registration data, so if it does stop/start it doesn’t attempt to re-register? If so, what data is this?

No, the account is separate from the e-mail address. The e-mail address is used only for expiration reminders, while the account is represented by an encryption key.

If it's using Certbot, it's the data in /etc/letsencrypt/accounts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.