Rate limit on VPS

Hello.
We are currently facing an issue at a VPS server (Linode) with the Rate Limit:

ACME server returned an error: urn:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new registration :: too many registrations for this IP

There're other certificates created on the server, and they're even newer than the one rising this rate limit error. Actually, we've a cronjob that creates/renew the certificates, which gets executed once an hour, and even that way it's not being able to create this cert. This issue has being happening for a month.

Examples:
Certificate not working: www.ortizyortega.com.ar
Newer certificate working: www.alperin.com.ar

As far as we know, this is an IPv6 issue, but we actually try a lot of solutions faced in the forum and none of them worked.

Thanks in advance.

You can create a maximum of 10 Accounts per IP Address per 3 hours. You can create a maximum of 500 Accounts per IP Range within an IPv6 /48 per 3 hours. Hitting either account rate limit is very rare, and we recommend that large integrators prefer a design using one account for many customers.

It should be fine for your server to have one account, created when you first set it up, and never register any more.

I don't think it is. While it wouldn't be shocking for one of Linode's IPv6 ranges to hit the rate limit, I believe the error message would say "too many registrations for this IP range" if that's what had happened.

Could you explain more about your setup?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

1 Like

Thanks for the fast answer.

One thing that we didn't say is that we're running it inside a docker container. (Docker companion)

The domain names are:
ortizyortega.com.ar
demo.web-experto.com.ar

I ran this command (From Docker Companion container): /app/update_certs

It produced this output:

ACME server returned an error: urn:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new registration :: too many registrations for this IP

My web server is (include version): nginx/1.11.13

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Alpine

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

Other relevant data:

Dockerfile version: 2

Nginx image: jwilder/nginx-proxy:latest

Companion image: jrcs/letsencrypt-nginx-proxy-companion:latest

Is it possible for this Docker thing to save and reuse the account?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.