Too many registrations for this IP - error for new server and domain

Hello, few months ago I have bought hetzner dedicated server, now I want get ssl sertificate for my domain, but when I run certbot I got error:

An unexpected error occurred:
There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new registration :: too many registrations for this IP

Previously I didn't got certificate for this server and domain and I don't think it's related to rate limit.
My server IP is 136.243.21.204.
What cause of this problem and how I can solve it? Thanks.

Is that a shared IP address maybe?

No, It’s dedicated public IP.

1 Like

Hopefully one of the moderators can help you when they come online later.

The same problem for my second server. Ip - 148.251.124.122

1 Like

That’s very strange, have you tried running certbot with the --dry-run flag ?

The dry run was successful.
I thought that problem can be related to ipv6 and disable ipv6, but this didn’t solve the problem.

1 Like

:thinking: Please post the full command line for certbot you are running

./certbot-auto certonly --standalone --email my@email.com -d my-domain.com --dry-run
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator standalone, Installer None

(Y)es/(N)o: y
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
tls-sni-01 challenge for my-domain.com
Waiting for verification...
Cleaning up challenges

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The dry run was successful.
  • Your account credentials have been saved in your Certbot
    configuration directory at /etc/letsencrypt. You should make a
    secure backup of this folder now. This configuration directory will
    also contain certificates and private keys obtained by Certbot so
    making regular backups of this folder is ideal.

./certbot-auto certonly --standalone --email my@email.com -d my-domain.com
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator standalone, Installer None
An unexpected error occurred:
There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new registration :: too many registrations for this IP

I have tried the same action for nginx plugin, but the same result.

1 Like

That is most most strange indeed, I honestly don’t know how to diagnose any further hopefully @schoen can help trace what’s happening on LE’s auth servers to cause that

Hi @giwery,

There were 10 new registrations created by this IP on 17/11/2017 and another 10 new registrations created by this IP on 20/11/17. All 20 of these registrations have the same email address (I won't share that here since you haven't).

I recommend you triple-check that you don't have an ACME client running on your server that is repeatedly creating new registrations.

I also notice that the UA for all 20 requests is "UserAgent":"Go-http-client/1.1 (linux; amd64) xenolf-acme" - that looks like the Lego ACME client. Here you're invoking Certbot, which is a different ACME client.

Did you previously try to set up Lego? Is there a cronjob left laying around that you might have forgotten about?

1 Like

@cpu Thanks a lot. Yes, previously I try run traefik which try get certificate. So, traefik ten times try get certificate and it’s was unsuccessful and letsencrypt server banned my IP, right?
May I know is it permanent ban? And why requests were unsuccessful?
Thanks a lot again.

Yes, it sounds like traefik is still installed and tries to create registrations many times a day and is using up your registrations rate limit for this IP.

You can read more about the registrations per IP rate limit here. It is only temporary and is reset every 3 hours.

Your requests were unsuccessful because Traefik has already used up this limit by the time you're testing. You need to disable/uninstall Traefik.

1 Like

@cpu Thanks a lot. I have uninstalled it after get error.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.