The connection for this site is not secure

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing a mystifying issue with the Edge browser.

The error displayed is: "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR" Additional information: This site does not have a certificate.

Because this connection is not secure, information (such as passwords or credit cards) will not be securely sent to this site and may be intercepted or seen by others.

I've checked everything 100 times, deleted the certificate, and reinstalled it, thinking that the issue was on my server. However, it only occurs on one PC with the Edge browser. :upside_down_face:

I assumed that the issue would resolve itself over time, but I decided to post this topic here because I couldn't find any similar issues elsewhere.

P.S. It's not fun to spend 6 hours trying to fix a server issue that doesn't exist. :grinning:

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

4 Likes

Which Edge browser? Version?
On what OS & Versions is said Edge browser running on?

Obviously Post #2 The connection for this site is not secure - #2 by Osiris questions come first.

1 Like

Have closed and reopened Edge?
Have you rebooted that PC?

2 Likes

Edge Version 111.0.1661.54 (Official build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2

Yes, this morning, everything was fine, just like I had guessed. :sunglasses:

I hope this is a really rare case, caused by a poor server SNI setting initially.

I'm not an expert on how server-client communication works, but even renewing the certificate more than 5 times didn't help.

My only concern is that the Apache error log didn't recognize the issue, so if it happens again, how will the server admin get the information?

Thank you for your help, and I hope this topic will help someone else experiencing the same issue.

1 Like

Renewing a perfectly good cert won't fix anything. But, it can get you rate-limited which causes different problems.

You might want to check out SSL Labs. Maybe it will point out a potential problem even now.

You didn't provide any details for us to analyze so SSL Labs is a good tool for DIY

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.