The ACME server can not issue a certificate for an IP address

Hello
I bought new dedicated server with CENTOS 7 and DA installed. I want to install Letsencrypt certificates for some of my domains, but there’s some problem.

> Could not execute your request
*> *
> Details
*> *
> 2020/07/23 19:10:10 [INFO] acme: Registering account for admin@X.X.X.X
> 2020/07/23 19:10:11 Could not complete registration
> acme: error: 400 :: POST :: https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-acct :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:invalidEmail :: Error creating new account :: contact email “admin@X.X.X.X” has invalid domain : The ACME server can not issue a certificate for an IP address, url:
> Certificate generation failed.

X.X.X.X - this is main IP of the dedicated server
I changed “Server’s Hostname” in the Direct Admin Administrator Settings tab (from the X.X.X.X to the ns00000000.eu), restared DA but still the same
Static hostname is also set for ns00000000.eu

Could you help me to find a solution for that problem?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):
Apache
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
CENTOS 7
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
OVH
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
DA
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

1 Like

Hi @adbypl

please use a valid ip address.

2 Likes

You mean email adress? There’s no “E-Mail” field to fill like in previous versions.

lets-screen

@JuergenAuer may have ment to quote this line inn your error.

Rip

1 Like

Sorry for my follow-up questions, but I’m a noob.

How can an IP address be non valid? The error is related to the e-mail address. I want to generate a certificate for ex. domain.com, but I’m getting an error regarding the email address - admin@X.X.X.X, which I think should look like this: admin@domain.com.

So I don’t know why the IP address is inserted in the email address instead of the domain name, I can’t change it manually.

“The ACME server can not issue a certificate for an IP address”
This message is probably the result of this situation. - in place of the IP address there should be a domain name I think.

How can I set it up?

Problem solved. It was not an IP address problem like suggested above.

The problem was that DirectAdmin was using admin@X.X.X.X as the primary admin email, I changed it in the “admin” user settings and the problem was solved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.