Requesting a certificate for ip address

Hello there.

I tried to generate an SSL Certificate for Django and get HTTPS with my ip address http://192.168.1.192:8000
but i have this error :

An unexpected error occurred:
Error creating new order :: Cannot issue for "192.168.1.192": The ACME server can not issue a certificate for an IP address

That's because Let's Encrypt only issues certs for domain names, and that's unlikely to change in the future. And no certificate authority will issue certs for a private IP address.

7 Likes

As @danb35 said Let’s Encrypt offers Domain Validation (DV) certificates.

3 Likes

And currently there's no CA providing certs for IP addresses using the ACME protocol. I do know however that ZeroSSL offers certs for IP addresses using their web interface and REST API.

5 Likes

As stated by others above:

1. LetsEncrypt does not offer Certificates for IP addresses
  2. No CA can issue a Certificate for a PRIVATE IP Address

Also adding:

1. You can not specify a port in Certificates. It will be stripped by the Client or ACME Server.
  2. The workaround for what you're trying to accomplish is to generate a certificate for a domain like dev.example.com. This is often easiest to do with a DNS-01 challenge, but you can use the HTTP-01 challenge on a public website and import that certificate OR route the public traffic to your computer. Then you can update either the public OR local DNS to resolve dev.example.com onto 192.168.1.192.
5 Likes

ok @danb35, thanks u

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.