Synology: can't add Let's Encrypt Certificate

My domain is: guideontheside.education

I ran this command: Create Certificate and Apply

It produced this output: Failed to connect to Let’s Encrypt. Please make sure the domain name is valid.

My web server is (include version): Safari 11.1.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): DSM 6.2-23739

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: LittleOak

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): YES

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): YES

Hi,

What exact command did you use?

Thank you

I believe Synology uses a graphical interface for this, as opposed to a command line. That being said, I’ve never used Synology and thus I’m of no additional help.

GUI

My suspicion is that Let’s Encrypt can’t handle a non-standard domain like mine (see last image above).

Any thoughts?

Mike

Hi,

Is there any possibility that you have some connectivity issue with lets encrypt?

Since LE does support .education certificates…

Thank you

Is that domain name currently pointed at your Synology device? It resolves to 216.239.141.7 and appears to return a web page that might not be your Synology device but might be some other web server.

My understanding is that the Synology Let’s Encrypt client will only obtain certificates successfully for names that are currently pointed at the Synology device where you’re requesting the certificate.

You are correct!

Can I obtain a Let’s Encrypt certificate without the Synology server? I only need it for a Google Maps page on my website (new https map requirement from Google).

Mike

The expected path in this case is to run a Let’s Encrypt client application on your web server (which is then a machine entirely separate from the DSM and that uses entirely different software). What kind of server environment do you have on the web server?

Went back to my web server management page and found the service. They support Let’s Encrypt. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.