SSL doesn't work

My domain is: ortomedcdr.com.br

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): Apache version 2.4.6

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): CentOS 7

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Contabo

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Webmin 1.942 + Virtualmin

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

Hi everyone. I’m pretty new dealing with servers and SSL configs. This is my first VPS server.
I got this SSL certificate on Virtualmin. I choose the option with wildcard cause I had the idea to with subdomains.
It created the file and the certificate, but the SSL doesn’t work. I don’t know if the mistake was choosing the wildcard option
If someone can help me I appreciate that.

1 Like

From the outside, if I try to visit your site using HTTPS, I get a warning that you have a self-signed certificate installed in the web server configuration. This is both good news and bad news. The good news is that you have the server configured to respond to HTTPS requests; the bad news is that the certificate there is not going to be trusted by anyone.

So first there is the problem of getting a certificate from a recognized authority. Certbot should have done that, but it might not have installed it in the right place. Second, unless you have quite a few subdomains, you might be better off with a certificate that certifies several hosts; this is called a SAN certificate, and it can handle quite a number of distinct host.subdomain.domain names, as long as they all belong to the same final domain (not just top-level, but, for example, host1.ortomedcdr.com.br and hostXYZ.dev.ortomedcdr.com.br.

1 Like

A certificate was issued for your domain today, but it wasn’t a wildcard certificate.

It only included the name ortomedcdr.com.br. That matches https://ortomedcdr.com.br/ but not https://www.ortomedcdr.com.br/ or other subdomains.

A wildcard would be *.ortomedcdr.com.br, which matches things like www.ortomedcdr.com.br or other-subdomain.ortomedcdr.com.br, but not ortomedcdr.com.br or multiple.levels.of.subdomains.ortomedcdr.com.br. (You have to include all of those names in the certificate if you need them.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.