Site occasionally inaccessible after installing/enabling Certbot [AWS EC2]

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. |, so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command: Trying to access the website itself

It produced this output: 'This site can't be reached. The connection was reset.' However, this only happens most of the time. The site is occasionally accessible.

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.4.52

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.21.0


I've created a site hosted on an AWS EC2 instance running Apache2 web server. I installed Certbot and enabled SSL for my website following the Certbot installation settings. The site is only occasionally accessible and usually experiences an SSL error. I've tried many things like ensuring ports 80/443 are open on the instance and within security group in AWS, configuring VirtualHost correctly, re-installing certificates, and more. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Hello @ep4, welcome to the Let's Encrypt community. :slightly_smiling_face:

I find this odd; this cannot find the certificate being served
"Handshake failed, we haven't received any certificates from the requested server. "

Ah, there are 2 IP Addresses serving that domain name. SSL Server Test: (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs) shows both of them. IPv4 has issues, where IPv4 seems fine.
As shown here


Since you mentioned AWS EC2, my guess for a quick fix it is to leave in DNS the A Record for

And remove the DNS A Record for

1 Like

Hi @Bruce5051 , thanks for the quick reply!

I was only aware of the record for but I checked back on my records and, sure enough, there was second type A there. I believe it was used for domain parking, but I removed it. It seems to be working now, but I'll reply back here if I have the issue again. Thank you very much for your help!


These are looking good now

1 Like

You are very welcome @ep4; have a pleasant rest of your day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep everything looks great. You have a nice day as well! @Bruce5051


This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.