Request to unblock IP

Hi,

I’ve used Golang’s ACME package to auto generate certificates and a problematic domain triggered too many API requests and got our IP blocked. I’ve now fixed the domain so can we get my IP unblocked? My IP is 104.155.118.40.

Thanks
Dongdong

Hi @dzhou121,

Welcome to the community forum!

Out of curiosity may I ask what steps you took to fix the problematic domain? I’ll file an internal ticket to remove the rate limits on this IP address.

1 Like

Thanks @Phil

The domain has an AAAA record which doesn’t work and I think that caused the authorisation to fail.

Dongdong

2 Likes

Hi @dzhou121

if only an authorization is failed, there is no special request to unblock the ip required.

That's only a standard one-hour block.

5 failed authorizations in one hour -> wait one hour.

Perhaps use the stage system to check, if the validation works.

1 Like

@JuergenAuer
Correct on your points. However for this user, back on April 12, 2019 we deployed a loadbalancer change to block this IP address. In the span of 3 days there were >100k failed validation attempts which is what we refer to internally as a “Charlie Brown Validation

2 Likes

@dzhou121

Your IP address has been unblocked. Best of luck!

1 Like

It works now. Thank you very much @Phil.

2 Likes

@Phil While he fixed the reason for failed validation(remove wrong AAAA record), but he doesn’t mention fix his client to rate limiting retrying certificate request when it failed. I thought it’s a requirement for unblock IP address block?

@orangepizza
His client is no longer using excessive Let’s Encrypt resources and is allowed to resume normal activity. If at any time we detect otherwise, we can re-enable the IP block.

@dzhou121
Operators should routinely verify their systems are working as intended by reviewing log files and ensure their client software is receiving updates.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.