Renewing SSL certificate on weebly subdomain

Can someone direct me how to renew my SSL certificate on Weebly? It has expired and I don't know how to renew it. Thank you.

My domain is: www.teachyourchildtoread.com

1 Like

Hello @Mary5 and welcome to the community!
You have given us your domain name but no other information to work with to help you find a solution.

You have valid certificates for www.teachyourchildtoread.com and your site is accessable to the internet at large.

Would you be willing to provide a little more information so we can help?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: www.teachyourchildtoread.com

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

You mention "Weebly" but dont give us anything else to go on....

2 Likes

Hi Rip,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am happy to supply whatever is needed to figure this out, but most of your questions don't apply to me (I don't think). My website is on a drag and drop platform (Weebly), so I haven't run any commands. I am not even sure what a webserver is... Can you give me guidance on how to find the answers to your questions? Up until June 5, I had a working SSL where people could order my program on the subdomain teach.teachyourchildtoread.com, and whynopadlock tells me the certificate has expired and that I got the certificate through Let's Encrypt. Can you tell me how to set the certificate on autorenew?

Thank you,
Mary

1 Like

It seems Weebly has a control panel option for SSL:

https://cloud-developer.weebly.com/cl_gs_ssl.html#weebly-hosted

If that doesn't work, it's probably something only Weebly can fix.

It also looks like your host has renewed the certificate like clockwork for the past few years:

https://crt.sh/?q=teach.teachyourchildtoread.com&deduplicate=y

But it suddenly stopped doing so. Did you change anything to your site?

Also, it seems like the IP address for teach.teachyourchildtoread.com (70.32.24.236) is NOT a Weebly IP address at all? The "whois" for that address says it's an IP address of a company called "A2 Hosting, Inc.".. It redirects to www.teachyourchildtoread.com by the way, so not sure what the function of that specific subdomain is.. But its certificate issue probably isn't related to Weebly, but to A2 Hosting.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all of this information! I will look into everything you suggested.

Mary

1 Like

As @Osiris noted although your main website is hosted on Weebly, it look like your actual teach.teachyourchildtoread.com is a different system.

Do you perhaps use Weebly for your marketing site and a custom (php based) system (or learning management system) hosted somewhere else (perhaps with the developer).

1 Like

Hi Osiris,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I'm so frustrated! I did not change anything--in fact, I was on vacation when the SSL certificate expired. I just talked to the hosting site, and they said the SSL was a freebie from Let's Encrypt that is included in Weebly, and that they (the hosting site) did not supply the SSL.

I think that all I need to do is automatically renew the SSL with Let's Encrypt. Do you know of any way to do that?

Thank you again for taking the time to look into my issue.

Mary

1 Like

Mary, just to re-iterate: teach.teachyourchildtoread.com (which is the one with the expired certificate, not hosted by weebly) is not the same website as www.teachyourchildtoread.com (hosted by weebly).

You need to figure out who setup your teach.teachyourchildtoread.com system with A2Hosting (possibly a web developer acting as a reseller?) e.g. did you work with someone to set it up and are they still in business? If not you will have to speak to A2Hosting directly to sort out your hosting account with them, then you need to hire a technical person (like maybe @schoen ) to login and fix it for you. I'm confident it has nothing to do with Weebly (like rolling into a Ford dealership and demanding they fix a Nissan).

My guess is that it was setup using an old piece of software which is still trying to talk to the old version 1 of the Let's Encrypt service (which recently stopped working).

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Your insights are spot on, and I am now getting help from A2 Hosting. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

Mary

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.