Renewing a certificate prior to its expiration

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: peekintothepast.com

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

I receive notice that my certificate will expire 11/18th. This will be the first renewal, and I don't know how to do that. Please advise.
Jim Rothgeb

how you got the first certificate?

1 Like

Thank you for your time.
I have tried to trace my steps but can't say just how I first obtained the certificate. Is there another way to approach the problem?

well lets start where you pay for host that website. and preferably what plan. then we can select what kind of acme client will work.

Edit: I dug into your website and found it's hosted by plesk.
Let's Encrypt extension - Plesk this extension may be able to automate it for you?

2 Likes

The extension is installed.
As for the renewal itself, what would I need to do? I don't see an option for that.
Again, I appreciate your help.

it should have reissue certificate option on that extension menu?

2 Likes

I've found a "renew" button. After I executed that, it responded that the certificate has been renewed. The screen which has the button looked different from the screen shot provided; but it seems to have done the job.
Do I need to upload the certificate again or do something more?

do you have screenshot of that page?
hmm I just noticed your site doesn't actually using LE certificate, but crt.sh | 4604888401
(this is precerificate of that) which doesn't expire until 2022 may 6

2 Likes

@jimrothgeb Adding on to what @orangepizza says, you have issued Lets Encrypt certs before but your most recent LE certs only have the name peekintothepast.com and do not include the www. version.
See: crt.sh | peekintothepast.com

But, agree your server is sending out the cert from Starfield Tech which includes both the apex (bare) domain and the www name.

2 Likes

To add to this, the cert being served now was issued last May ('21) and won't expire until next May ('22).

2 Likes

I thought that it hadn't expired yet; but having received a notice that it was going to expire in 10days alarmed me.

Thanks to all for your prompt attention!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.