Rate Limit: how to skip it

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: [secret]

I ran this command:
sudo certbot --apache -d [secret]

It produced this output:
There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: [secret]: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

My web server is (include version): Server version: Apache/2.4.29

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

I will go to the point directly: how can I skip the rate limit? I need to work on the website ASAP.

There is no skip. For that particular limit, you can try issue a certificate for a slightly different set of domains (e.g. add a useless subdomain), which will be counted under a distinct rate limit bucket. Either that, or wait it out.

1 Like

Hi @Faares

use one of the created certificates. Certificates are created every 60 - 85 days, that's enough.

1 Like

Nice idea. I will keep it in my mind.

How can I use it? Especially if you know that I delete certs using: certbot delete command.

Deleting valid certificates is never a good idea. If you had created 5 valid certificates, you should have installed one as per Juergen’s suggestion. Also, you did not give any indication that you deleted your certificates. The only way to be able to create a new certificate is by using Az’s suggestion.
Keeping your domain a secret only hinders the help you receive.
If you actually did delete the valid certificates, and you don’t use Az’s suggestion, the only thing you can do is to wait 1 week from the time you created those certificates. :neutral_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.