Plesk installation on domain: Could not obtain directory: cURL error 77

Plesk is giving me this error:
Could not issue a Let’s Encrypt SSL/TLS certificate for ******.nl.
Could not obtain directory: cURL error 77: (see http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html)

My domain has valid DNS over the world and it’s a brand new VPS with Plesk with latest updates just installed. Domain is first domain created, everything runs as expected. Let’s Encrypt service has no errors mentioned on their status page.

The error 77 indicates problems loading the certificate file. Plesk thinks there is a certificate installed, because retrying only has a renew option instead of requesting a certificate. A rights issues?

I don’t know where to start. Anyone encountered this?

My web server is (include version):
Apache + Nginx in proxy mode

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
CentOS Linux 7.5.1804 (Core)‬

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Transip

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 Update #35

Strange, the certificate was installed, even with the error. It also registeres as valid on online checking tools.
So, not solved, but also, not a problem :stuck_out_tongue:

If this problem recurs when renewing the certificate in the future, I can point out that the certificate validation that the error 77 refers to is probably Plesk’s attempt to validate the Let’s Encrypt API certificate, not the certificate on your site. That is, this error happened when Plesk was trying to make its initial contact with Let’s Encrypt to request a certificate, and seems to suggest that Plesk couldn’t read some files on your system (perhaps under /etc/ssl/certs) to find a list of trusted CAs to use when making that contact.

If so, the Plesk configuration might need to be changed or an additional OS package might need to be installed, and you may want to ask Plesk support for help with that.

But I hope it will keep working properly in the future with no further action on your part!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.