Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.
My domain is:animatedanatomy.com
I have to now be a webmaster for this client. But seriously why is it so hard to figure out if the primary domain is www or non-www?
I spent past 5 hours and I have hired an Indian developer to explain it to me and I still failed to understand what the hell is going on.
Maybe I have an extremely low IQ.
EVERYBODY keeps saying “oh we switched our website from www to non-www”.
or I keep reading over and over “Oh you have to make your SSL for www bla bla”
So the client basically wants his primary domain (watever that means) to be https://www.animatedanatomy.com/
I spend hours and hours and hours and hours and money on this developer to figure out
- what does a “primary” domain technically mean actually?
- What is the primary domain in case of this client
- when I type https://www.animatedanatomy.com/, it opens exactly that https://www.animatedanatomy.com/
- when I type https://animatedanatomy.com/, it opens exactly that https://animatedanatomy.com/
- Both of them www and non-www, when opened seem to have a certificate
Questions, please answer them by their numbers because I won’t understand this otherwise
1.No matter how much I serach, I can not find a technical explanation what it means which domain is “primary”?
2. Should in this case www.animatedanatomy.com be connected via NS record in route 53 with nameservers OR animatedanatomy.com should be connnected via NS record in route 54 with nameservers?
3. Why some people keep saying you need ssl certificate for WWW because you made it for non WWW, when BOTH, BOTH urls open as “secure” and they do not get redirected or something funny. THEY BOTH OPEN and if I COPY the URL it copies exactly what put in the bar.
- why some people keep saying I have to go to some config file or whatever and change the “url”. I never set that url to non-www to begin with. How come it has appeared there to begin with? In fact when was the URL inserted into the config file to begin with? what the hell? All I did is just create a lightsail instance in aws and then in route 53 connected the name servers with animatedanatomy.com then created a record for www.animatedanatomy.com that sends it to the ip of that machine and an A alias record for aniamtedanatomy.com >> that goes to www.animatedanatomy.com. I NEVER inserted ANY url into the linux server wordpress or any config file.
So lets assume now somehow I made this website to have a freaking “primary” website as aniamtedanatomy.com WHATEVER that means, then now I have to go and change it to www somewhere in some confg file. FINE! but how? How did that get in there to begin with? I NEVER inserted any of it !!!
- COULD it be that the primary domain is the one which points to the IP addres?? so since my A record with www.animatedanatomy.com points to the IP, I guess that is the primary one?
- Some people say, primary is the one which google shows in the results.
- Other people say primary is the one whatever links are pointing to on your website, if the links to pages are pointing to www.animatedanatomy.com then www is the primary one, if it is opposite then the naked one is the primary one!!!
8 well HOW COME then I have another website where google scanned ONLY www version of pages and YET when you are on that website, all links if you copy them, are actually NAKED???
- “How to figure out is primary domain www or non-www”?
GOD!!! this is so frustrating.
I opened around 100 different pages and all I read was
“we changed our webste from non www to www”
“primary www is much better”
“you might want to use www because of other possibilities”
“should your primary domain be www or non www?”
WELL FOR GODS SAKE, why can’t google answer a sinmple question:
“How to figure out is primary domain www or non-www”?
OR simple question
“what does a primary domain mean??”
GOD!!! I am soo angry it is 2 am, I have to wake up at 6 go to work.
I literally slammed my keyboard and wrote a bunch of bzersg weird letters but had to delete it because forum probably does not like that. I just have no way to express my ffrustration with how bad articles explain things and how horrible google is at searching things and how horrible this Indian escaped my questions and said he will talk to me tomorrow.
Please help and please answer those questions one by one with numbers from 1 to 9 otherwise all this confusion wont go away. My head will EXPLODE