Ordering certificates across multiple servers

My domain is: moriarty.naughtysysadmins.com

I ran this command: NA

It produced this output: NA

My web server is (include version): NA (using DNS auth, and don’t have a web server installed yet)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian Buster

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: NA

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): Dehydrated version: 0.6.2

Hello! I don’t have an issue with ordering certificates. This is more a question about best practices. I have a cluster of personal servers I’m managing, and will set up each of them to order certificates using DNS authentication. Should each server register a new account with LetsEncrypt, or should I be using one “master” account? If the latter is a better practice, what data do I need to be sharing across servers so they all have the same account?

1 Like

Letting each server register its own account is common and okay.

To quote the rate limiting documentation:

You can create a maximum of 10 Accounts per IP Address per 3 hours. You can create a maximum of 500 Accounts per IP Range within an IPv6 /48 per 3 hours. Hitting either account rate limit is very rare, and we recommend that large integrators prefer a design using one account for many customers.

If you have a reason to use one account -- like rate limit exemptions, or hundreds of servers -- then do so. If you don't, do whatever is most convenient. :slightly_smiling_face:

For Dehydrated, I don't know! :grimacing: For most ACME clients, you should copy a couple config files.

2 Likes

Great to know. Thanks! This won’t grow to very many servers (I’d be surprised if it every got to be more than 10), so I’ll just stick with a unique account for each server then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.