Need SSL Certificates for my sites

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: I have 3 sites in need of ssl Certificates. broken2bhealed.com , unity-4-christ.com and pew2pulpitministries.com all are on Hostgator which I am using Word Press.

I ran this command: Unknown

It produced this output: Unknown

My web server is (include version):Hosegator

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Unknown

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:Hostgator

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): through my CPanel

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Yes

How can I obtain these certificates, I have no budget at all being I am a non profit.

Hello,

Because you are using cPanel, your options are limited.

The best option for cPanel is to use AutoSSL, which is a built-in cPanel feature that gives you free and automatic SSL certificates for all your domains. Unfortunately it looks like Hostgator, your service provider, has turned this off, presumably because they love money and want to sell you SSL certificates instead.

Some options for you:

• Use something like ZeroSSL.com or sslforfree.com to manually issue certificates for your domains every 60-90 days (technically easy but inconvenient)
  • Move to another cPanel webhost that doesn’t disable AutoSSL (a pain to move initially, but then you don’t ever need to worry about SSL).
  • Try use Certbot or another ACME client from within your cPanel environment (technically this can get complex, and you’re on your own if you run into problems).

Unfortunately, HostGator is the worst offender in terms of Let’s Encrypt compatibility. In addition to requiring this manual process, they also require support intervention to apply certificates, and charge customers a $10 service fee for this. Since Let’s Encrypt certificates are valid for 90 days, it would cost at least $40/year in HostGator support fees. I would strongly recommend changing hosts, and letting HostGator know why you’re leaving them.

If that’s not possible, you’d be better off buying a longer-validity commercial certificate and using that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.