My host has limited options and I am looking for advice

My hosting provider does not allow shell access because of security reasons.

I was told that the only option would be to install Certbot.

"If your hosting provider doesn't want to integrate Let's Encrypt, but does support uploading custom certificates, you can install Certbot on your own computer and use it in manual mode. In manual mode, you upload a specific file to your website to prove your control. Certbot will then retrieve a certificate that you can upload to your hosting provider. We don't recommend this option because it is time-consuming and you will need to repeat it several times per year as your certificate expires."

Question: I am confused as to why this option needs to be repeated several times per year as the certificate expires?

How many times a year will I have to repeat this process? I have never installed SSL certificates and I am looking for some suggestions/help in this matter.

Thanks

1 Like

Because when a certificate expires, you'll need a new one. And by that time the previous validation isn't valid any longer.

Let's Encrypt certificates are valid for 90 days (and that's the only period possible) and Let's Encrypt recommends to renew the cert 30 days before expiry, so you'd renew every 60 days.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.