Moving to new site but can't carry certs over

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: ithacademocrats.org

I ran this command: cpanel and plesk

I’m trying to move from an old site and take my certs with me, but the new site (using Plesk) does not give me an option to import a certificate. At least I can’t find one. On the old site (cpanel) my options are Uninstall | Update | Details | Use Certificate for New Site, and Disable Mail SNI. Use for new site looks promising but all it does is give me ascii for the components, which I can’t import into the new site. My privileges are limited - I can’t run certbot, I can’t drop files into /etc. How do I get to the point where I can get a completely new wildcard certificate at the new site? Do I uninstall at the old site? Will Let’s Encrypt realize I already have certs and install them?

My web server is (include version): Old is siteground, new is nginx

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Some kind of linux

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): No

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): cpanel on old site, plesk on new site

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): don’t know

1 Like

You options are limited by your Plesk panel (or HSP).

That will not affect the situation with the new site.
[only remove it once you are sure you will not be needing it there any longer]

No. It has no way of knowing anything about any other sites.

1 Like

Don’t take your certs with you, issue new ones.

It’s easier and not a problem, if your certificates aren’t more than 20.

1 Like

It seems you don’t really understand the processes involved. Let’s Encrypt only issues the certificate file. It does not have access to the systems which ultimately will use these certificate files! Think about it: if that would be the case, Let’s Encrypt would have to have root access to billions of websites!

No, you’re 100 % dependend on your new hosting provider. If they don’t offer some kind of method for you to get a certificate or install one, that’s going to be a problem.

we probably need to know this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.