Letsencrypt errors on Amazon Linux

I’m running letsencrypt on an Amazon Linux EC2 server. It was working quite happily - since the last Amazon updates applied I now get errors - see below ( I’m not a very experienced sysadmin and would welcome any advice.
Thank You

__|  __|_  )
   _|  (     /   Amazon Linux AMI
  ___|\___|___|

[ec2-user@xxxxxxx ~]$ /opt/letsencrypt/letsencrypt-auto --no-bootstrap renew
Requesting to rerun /opt/letsencrypt/letsencrypt-auto with root privileges…
Creating virtual environment…
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 27, in
File “”, line 19, in create_venv
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 185, in check_call
retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 172, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 394, in init
errread, errwrite)
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 1047, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Welcome to the community!

Wow, as in the old client? You skipped answering the initial post questions, but we've got most of the info except for one really important piece:

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

What version of letsencrypt-auto are you using on this AMI?

One important thing to know is that Certbot is currently not supported on Amazon Linux, so users should probably either use it via Docker or switch to a different client.

@ezekiel, the use of letsencrypt-auto is definitely a sign of following old documentation, but letsencrypt-auto and certbot-auto are the same program, and both always update immediately to the most recent release when run, unlike an OS-packaged version, unless the user specifically asks them not to.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.