LetsEncrypt (Certbot) FIPS Mode

I am trying to use certbot on a machine that is in FIPS mode. I run FIPS mode because one don't want to write code that wouldn't be executable on a FIPS machine. My setup is Red Hat 7.5 with all the current updates, EPEL installed, with the following packages: httpd, mod_ssl, certbot [0.23]. I ran accross the following thread that indicated that FIPS mode wasn't available: OpenSSL in FIPS Mode does not have MD5 Hash Functionality Required by Certbot. Unfortunately, I can't reopen that thread so hopefully others might be able to find this one.

I had the same error experienced in that thread, including the stack trace:

File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 861, in main return config.func(config, plugins)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 770, in certonly le_client = _init_le_client(config, auth, installer)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 479, in _init_le_client acc, acme = _determine_account(config)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 378, in _determine_account config, account_storage, tos_cb=_tos_cb)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/client.py”, line 174, in register acc = account.Account(regr, key)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/account.py”, line 62, in init

The command I was writing was (with substitutions for my domain and my email):

certbot certonly --test-cert -d *.MYDOMAIN --keep-until-expiring --agree-tos -m MY@EMAIL.COM

So, I decided to look at account.py, around line 62 to see what was going on. It is an invocation to hashlib.md5(). Well, the failure makes sense as FIPS regards MD5 as unsafe and prohibits the use of MD5. I then went to the python documentation and checked on hashlib. It presents a convenient function called algorithms and algorithms_guaranteed. I started up a small python environment through 'python' and gave it a try:
python:

import hashlib
guaranteed_algorithms = hashlib.algorithms_guaranteed
print guaranteed_algorithms

It returns:

set(['sha1', 'sha224', 'sha384', 'sha256', 'sha512', 'md5'])

So, it looks like it isn't a cross-platform problem and it appears that stronger digests such as sha256 and sha512 are available. OK

Next, on to the totality of certbot's python. Let's see where else MD5 is used:
grep -i 'md5' /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/*.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/account.py: self.id = hashlib.md5(

Well, it seems this is the ONLY invocation of it. Well, I can't quite tell exactly what it is doing. It appears it is hashing the email to make some form of ID, but I really can't figure out if this is just local or if it is sent to LE servers.

So, I just tweaked the line to:
self.id = hashlib.sha256(

... and everything looks like it worked. Of course, I now need to maintain this patch forever, but can anyone comment on what the implications are of using sha256 instead of md5 are? Are there any other implications of using sha256 instead of MD5 that will come to bite me later?

1 Like

@bmw

Can you (Or other developers…) take a look at this…

Thank you

1 Like

I’m no certbot developer, but my 5 cents on this:
The other thread links to https://github.com/certbot/certbot/issues/1948#issuecomment-310469614, and that thread links to https://github.com/certbot/certbot/pull/1013#issuecomment-149983479, which together explain the problem pretty well (I think): md5 is only used for producing short paths. They could have also used sha256 (or sha1 or …), but they wanted something shorter. (Just taking the first x bytes of sha256 output would have sufficed, too.)
So no, there should be no implication of using sha256 instead of md5 (except that your pathnames grow longer).

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw the first linked comment, but missed the second. I just wasn’t sure about the pathname implication in what it was used for. I surmise that the md5 is only used for registration and thus I really won’t need it again on this machine. I am not sure what happens when I move to a new machine in the (far) future, if I didn’t keep this patch permanently. Specifically, would the ‘register’ freak out on the new machine with a different hash value with the same email address…

I believe in most scenarios you can expect basically sane behavior when switching to a new machine. The server side doesn’t know what the account was called locally, and it doesn’t object if you want to create a new account with the same associated e-mail address.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.