Issue with Wildcard SSL?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: *.thetixcenter.com

I ran this command: (I am using the le-cpanel plugin)

It produced this output:
There was a problem processing your request

Error issuing certificate
Failed to issue certificate
Error authorising domain (*.thetixcenter.com): acme error ‘malformed’: Error creating new authz :: Invalid character in DNS name

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.4.29

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Centos 7

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
DigitalOcean
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): cPanel (latest)

Based on these error messages, you are using the FleetSSL cPanel plugin (I'm one of the developers).

Let's Encrypt has not yet launched wildcard support, it will be going live at the end of February.

We have already updated the plugin to work with wildcards, and will be releasing support for wildcards with version 0.13.0, as soon as wildcards are available in production.

If you have further questions please email us :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Oh dang, is there any way to get a temp wild card in the mean time?

As far as I know there are no certificate authorities that issue free wildcard certificates that you would be able to save and import into cPanel.

If you actually need a wildcard, then your options are to either purchase one, or use something like Cloudflare CDN which will terminate SSL for you with a wildcard.

If you just need a certificate for a number of subdomains as well as the main domain (up to 100 names), then you should be able to just use Let’s Encrypt.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.