Impossible to generate a SSL certificate (wildcard)

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: suziepalmer.ca

I ran this command: i had a Let's Encrypt certificate fir my domain name, but it did not apply to the www subdomain. So I asked to generate a new certificate using the "wildcard" option, but an error message showed up.

It produced this output: here is the error message:
Impossible de générer un certificat SSL/TLS pour suziepalmer.ca
DĂ©tails

Impossible d'émettre le certificat SSL/TLS Let's Encrypt pour suziepalmer.ca . Échec de l'autorisation pour le domaine.
DĂ©tails

Invalid response from https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/authz-v3/37595026010.

Details:

Type: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized

Detail: Incorrect TXT record "pjTAty1yTvwc-Ww9cr_RS9mirM_2_zTVV6Vz_4LMRoI" found at _acme-challenge.suziepalmer.ca

My web server is (include version): Plesk

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ?

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: aztus.com

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): ?

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): aztus

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): ?

1 Like

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Suzie :slightly_smiling_face:

It seems like your previous TXT records for _acme-challenge.suziepalmer.ca aren't being cleared out before attempting a new DNS-01 challenge.

You can see that here:

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/

1. Clear out the old TXT record(s).
  2. Proceed with the new TXT record(s).
4 Likes

And if all you want is the www subdomain, you don't need a wildcard. You can just use a "normal" non-wildcard certificate that has both the www and non-www names on it. Usually that's easier, unless you actually need to use a wildcard.

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you! With your help, I've been able to regenerate a new certificate, and it works just fine! Thanks!

3 Likes

You are quite welcome! :blush:

Now that you've successfully generated your new certificate, you can go ahead and clear those TXT records (if you haven't already). They're one-offs that won't be reused and are unnecessary to keep.

It looks like you successfully generated a non-wildcard certificate per @petercooperjr's excellent advice:

https://crt.sh/?id=5362903244

1 Like

And then, if you're using DNS-01 authentication, see if you can automate the process of adding and removing the records, or else you may be in the same spot in a couple months.

(If you're using HTTP-01 authentication now, then sure the TXT records are just superfluous.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.