iPage issues enabling the LetsEncrypt

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:americanmainstreetproducts.com

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: ipage

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): idon't know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): ipage

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

iPage has spent the last three weeks telling me they cannot enable the free ssl through their site due to "back-end" issues. I am no expert, but it is starting to feel like this is only a bait and switch as they continually pressure me to buy a paid ssl service stating they don't know when they can fix the letsencrypt. Are they playing a game or are they even working with letsencrypt or are they just using this as the bait in a bait and switch operation? If so letsencrypt needs to break the affiliation with ipage.

Let's Encrypt is a free and automated CA and is not affiliated with hosting providers, other than that Let's Encrypt receives sponsorships from certain (larger) hosting providers. You can see the list of sponsors here: Current Sponsors and Funders - Let's Encrypt I did not see iPage on it, so there's nothing to "break" with that regard.

To me, this does not sound like an issue with Let's Encrypt, but with an issue iPage has with their own systems. Which would be weird. Why would their own back-end be faulty? Can't they fix it?

Sounds like they're trying to bate you indeed, although I don't have all the information obviously, just what you're telling me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I agree it is an ipage issue. They have this option listed on their site for free SSl from Lets Encryt:

• LetsEncrypt Free SSL
    Free SSL Installation may take 24-48 hours to complete
    In Progress
    Enforce SSL
    There is a button to click to add the LetsEncrypt SSL. It never works in adding to the site however, your site is unsecured unless you ad the paid service they offer. If ipage is using letsencrypt as a bait and switch bait, letsencrypt needs to have them remove this from the ipage site. It reflects poorly on letsencrypt even thought they have no part in this situation.

But yes, it has been over three weeks and 25 chats attempting to have them fix the ipage backend to be able to activate the letsencrypt to no avail. At this point it says more about their engineering department than anything else.

1 Like

I'm not a Let's Encrypt employee nor a lawyer, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

If iPage is giving you such a hard time, I recommend switching to a different provider which does have proper and free Let's Encrypt support. The Certbot team has a list of known hosting providers and their level of LE support: Does My Hosting Provider Offer HTTPS? | Certbot Note that this list is far from complete, but it might help.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.