IP blocked? "Unexpected EOF"

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
new.watchingamerica.com
I ran this command:
certbot --apache
entered email address at prompt

It produced this output:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 439, in send
resp = conn.urlopen(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 719, in urlopen
retries = retries.increment(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 436, in increment
raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: SysCallError(-1, 'Unexpected EOF')")))

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: SysCallError(-1, 'Unexpected EOF')")))
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
ubuntu 20.04.2

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
DigitalOcean (new server)

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

certbot 0.40.0

2 Likes

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Jim :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks like it could be.

@lestaff

What say you?

2 Likes

This is possibly related to New "bad handshake" & similar errors.

An IP address is needed to confirm. @jcantwell can DM me if they don't want to put it in the forum.

4 Likes

IP is 143.110.149.250

2 Likes

Thanks for providing that information. I've unblocked the IP.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.